J A N K I : part III

Začít od začátku

"We're both mourning our loved ones, Janki. We both lost the ones we wanted in our life and I know this seems unfair, a life you didn't choose willingly but, Janki...."

It's then that he looks into my eyes. Really looks with his hope and pain and hurt.

"Having a friend under this roof wouldn't be so bad"

And with those words, Mr. Singh trudged away carrying a heavy heart and yet offering me his tired, weak and lonely hand to hold onto.

When I returned to my room and stared at myself in the mirror. Someone unexpected greeted me; short black hair, cheeks damp and eyes moist. I looked so different.

I imagined Vansh standing with horror on his face. Disbelieving and accusing eyes demanding answer for the impulsive decision. Then he would race to me with open arms and secure me an hug all the while mumbling how he preferred my long hair. But he would still love me no matter what.

Still love me no matter what.

I would still love him no matter what.

Even if the heavens had separated us, I was sure there was a parallel universe where we were discussing the paint for our house. Happy and satisfied with our life.

Wiping my cheeks and making up my mind for another time today, I went to bed.

***

"Ma'am, do you need anything?" The house maid was clearly surprised to find me in the balcony watering the plants.

"Uh, no," I tried smiling at her but it felt so weird. This was the first time I had the decency to flash her a smile while she talked to me. I made a mental note to not continue that behavior anymore.

"Is Sana awake?" I asked her gently while looking craning my neck looking at Sana's door.

"No, ma'am, I'm afraid she wouldn't be awake for another half hour," she said glancing towards me, "It is early than usual"

Early than what time I get up.

Nodding at her, I tried to calm my nerves as I took the newspaper from the table and began skimming through it.

Oil petrol price surges by a rupee.

New scheme for farmers having no land.

Taxi strike on Monday.

Amitabh Bachchan purchasing a new property.

I rolled my eyes as I snapped it shut and put it back on its original place. It was only then that I noticed a pair of curious eyes on me. Mr. Singh had an amusing look on his face as he gazed at me.

Suddenly, blood rushed to my face fast and I clasped my fingers in my lap unable to think of my next move. I looked around frantically trying to rid the feeling in me that was growing with time.

I was thankful when he walked back to adjoining room but it wasn't before I caught a sliver of smile on his lips. My heart surged at the sight.

I didn't have to think about it for now because the next moment a sleepy Sana had walked into the living room. Clutching the same elephant she had forgotten yesterday. I tensed as I waited for when she would notice me.

I was surprised when Sana walked up to me all the while rubbing her eyes with fingers and yawning. Without a word, she sat next to me and placed her head in my lap and curling next to me.

The amount of relief I felt in that moment was something that I had never experienced before.

Is this what I had been missing every morning? Greeting a sleepy a child while she hid in my lap and clung to my dupatta to sleep for a few more minutes. Watching her get ready and fuss about her breakfast and run around the home trying her to catch her while she laughed gleefully.

No more missing out on that, I thought as I moved my hand over her head.

The house bell rang and I was about to place Sana's head on the sofa and get to open up but Mr. Singh signaled me to stay where I was. He walked to the door and pulled it open. A familiar face popped from the door frame.

Our neighbor.

The middle aged lady walked into the house as Mr. Singh gestured her to come in while smiling fondly at her.

"This an invitation for Avi's birthday tomorrow. I figured I'd come early and give the invitation directly to you" She said while eyeing me. She then placed the card in Mr. Singh's hand and gripped his hands.

"Although it's a children's party, you and your wife both should come," She said and then threw me a small smile before taking her leave.

As Mr. Singh placed the card on the coffee table in front of me, I felt words tumbling out of my mouth.

"Mr. Singh?" I called out.

He lifted his head and looked at me. I could say he was suprised by the way his lost his balance a little.

"If it's alright by you, I'd like to accompany you and Sana to the party," I said in a rush while my toes curled under the table.

When I looked up, Mr. Singh's face wasn't the same stoic it had been all this time, wrinkles appeared near the corner of his mouth. He sat on the sofa opposite me and for the first time I didn't feel like hiding myself infront of him.

"I'd like that very much"

*****

THE END

or is it? ;)