Chapter 16: He's... What?

(Ali's POV)

        I was woken by yelling. Reese was still at my side. I shook him and his eyes fluttered open. I was tempted to coo at the adorableness of my older brother but a crash from downstairs stopped me.

"Reese!" I hiss.

"What?" I gesture to downstairs and as if on que another round of yelling starts.

We both shoot up and start to creep down the stairs when the worst sound that could be heard goes off. A gunshot. At this point, Simi has joined us and we all stop dead in our tracks. The thing that brings us back to reality is the cry of pain. We all run down the stairs and Reese grab the baseball bat next to the door.

When we walk into the living room I see... My dad. My heart jumps into my throat and I see all the times he'd hit me and screamed at me. My eyes travel along his body and then I see it. A blood stain is forming where his heart is. His eyes are glasses over and he's swaying. I can tell he's gong to drop any second. The weird thing is, I don't want him to die. I want him to sit in jail and suffer for the rest of his worthless life.

I look to where Reese and Simi are and my entire body seems to stop - my lungs, heart, blood, everything. Niall lies on the floor with a knife in his gut. The rest of the boys are sitting around him except Zayn. I hear a son and look up to see Zayn shaking and trying to talk on the phone. My guess is an ambulance will be on its way soon.

All at once my body goes into overtime or something. I speed towards the kitchen and grab a towel and then walk over to the hall closet. Inside is a first aid kit and more towels. I toss some towels at the boys and then make a hesitant step toward my father. My hand hover over his wound and I look at his face. His forehead is covered in a sheet of sweat, his eyes were closed, and his breath was shallow. Swallowing my fear and anxiety, I press down on his wound to try and stop the bleeding - or just slow it until help arrives.

"Don't take the knife out!" I shout at Louis right before he can pull the weapon out. "it'll only make things worse." Louis noda and continues to stop the bleeding.

I turn back to my dad and in a sudden sper of anger I shove down on his chest. I get a groan of pain from my action and I can't help but smile. I don't feel bad for what happened but I will feel bad if he dies. Not because he'd die but because he won't sit and rot in a cell. His eyes peel open and he looks at me, emotionless.

"Why... Are you... Helping me?"

"I'm not doing it for you. I'm doing this for me. I want to know that you're rotting in a cell. I don't want you to ever forget what do did, I want you to pay for everything you did to me and I want you to regret it." My words are like fire leaving my mouth. My tongue seems to burn after every sentence.

"I raised you... Well."

"You did not raise me. I rose myself and I did damn better than you ever will!" I shove down on his chest again and he groans louder. "You're a useless piece of sh*t! And you always will be!" I raise my hand and slap him as hard as possible.

"Ali!" Reese grabs my hand and lifts me up away from my dad. Louis takes my place and keeps the towel on his chest.

"Let me go! Let me treat him the way he treated me!" Tears are falling freely down my face now.

"Al.. Ali." I stop struggling and Reese lets go of me.

I turn towards Niall, "My Irish snowflake." I kneel at his side.

"Dont take your anger out on him..." Niall takes and shallow breath. "It only makes you as good as he is."

I nod and hold his hand in mine. The door opens quickly and two guys with stretchers come in. Niall is put on one and my father on the other. I ride with Niall to the hospital and never let go of his hand until they take him into the surgery room. Reese and Simi sit with me in the waiting room while the boys argue with the lady at the desk to give us information on Niall and my father.

***

It's been three days since the incident and there still isn't much news. They've both been in and out of surgery but no one will let us visit them. Though, we only want to visit Ni.  Zayn has been pacing none stop and, while everyone's gone to shower and change, Zayn and I have stayed here continuously.

"Ali Mason?" a nurse called out. The boys put Niall and my dad under my name so no one would notice them.

"Yeah?" She smiled at me and walked over to us. We all swarmed her.

"Mr. Mason is fine and will be going back to jail once we release him. The bullet didn't hit his heart and went threw completely leaving no permanent damage." We all nod not really caring about that.

"And Niall?" Zayn questions.

"Mr. Horan lost a lot of blood but will be released when his stitches are dried more. You should be ready to take him home in about a day or so. You can pick up his medicine know along with the instructions. You can visit him now." The nurse smiles and walks away while everyone else release a sigh of release.

We all charge the hallway and into Niall's room. He looks at us and smiles lazily at us. I take the seat next to his bed and he takes my hand in his.

"How's my little songbird?" I blush at his nickname and smile at him not trusting my own voice. "Good. Eh, boys? When can I leave this boring joint?" We all manage a small laugh but we continue to joke around and talk until visiting hours are over.

We all go home for a goodnight's sleep now that we all know Niall will be okay. I have to say, being able to sleep will be pretty good. The weird thing is, the second I get home and in my PJs, I'm out cold. No nightmares and no one with me. I think standing up to my dad got rid of my fears.