XXIII

"Al, get me out of here."Jimmy suddenly appeared beside me.

"And why would I?"

"Come on. I just turned into an instant celebrity after my proposal. I think I need some air."

"Let's go out for a little while."

Jimmy and I went outside the house, hiding from other people while drinking.

"Hey Jimmy, I'm sorry." I said.

"For what?"

"For making you lonely. I never thought that you'd be alone when I left school."

He laughed. "I love you too, man."

"Don't be gay."

"Shut up. Seriously, I love you too. I became proud of myself, because like you, I am working hard. I was always proud of you, Al, since we were young. You're my brother, though not biological. Your absence led me to Jamie. Who would have thought of that? Well, I'm not saying that I'm thankful you left. It's more like someone left, and someone came, and that someone filled the emptiness. Don't even feel bad for what happened in the past; it's not something you want." I can see the sincerity in his eyes as he speaks. "I have another favor; will you be my best man? You're the only one fit for the role."

"It will be my pleasure."

After taking a breather, the two of us headed inside.

"Al, I'll just go to the bathroom."

"Go on." I answered while I was trying to find Jamie among the people. I want to talk to her until I have a chance to express myself. She was talking to a couple of friends, who bid their goodbyes as they are leaving. It is now my turn. I walked towards her and invited her outside, so it will be only the two of us.

"What do you want to talk about?" She asked. "It seems important that you even asked me to go outside with you."

"It is important... I might not have another chance to tell this to you."

"What is it?"

"You know, Jamie..." This is my chance to say what I really wanted. "Jamie," I took a deep breath, she looks at me, waiting for the words I'm going to say, "you know... Jimmy is a good guy, and he's like a brother to me. Please take care of him. I also need to go, I have an event tomorrow." I squeezed her shoulder and left. Tears spring from my eyes as I walk farther. I cannot say it. I cannot break Jimmy's heart, especially after what he told me.