Chapter 7

John moved back in with his Ant Mimi. We stayed close but slowly he reverted back to his old self. Stuart began to not want to know John as Paul also got wary of him. The lad Paul mentioned soon got forgotten about, until two years later.

This lad was just shy of his 15th birthday and John was 17, Paul just a year younger. Paul pulled me along to a bus late one night in 1958. I didnt realise this year was going to be a big year for the band. We met on the top deck of a bus but for about 10 minutes it was just me, Paul and the new lad. We didnt even think John and Stuart were going to turn up. Then Stuart arrived but still no John.

"Where is that moron?" Paul asked, mainly to himself

No one replied to Pauls comment as we watched the stairs. Then John walked in, his hair slicked back leaving a quiff.

"I didnt know we hired Elvis Presley" Paul commented watching John swagger towards us, donning a leather jacket

John took a seat next to me, leaning into me slightly.

"John this is the new lad, his names George Harrison" Paul introduced "George play Raunchy for him"

George pulled his guitar out as Johns hand accidently brushed against my leg. He gave me an apoligetic look before turning his attention back to George. George not only blew John away with his playing but i was most certainly impressed. I looked to Paul who was grinning from ear to ear. When George finished he muted the strings and looked hopefully towards John. John, on the other hand, couldnt even move. I nudged him to say something.

"Your in" was all he muttered, almost inaudible

George took it quite lightly but clearly he was over the moon. As we left the bus i chatted to George.

"Ive always wanted to be in a band, im so glad he let me in. I heard Johns quite strict" George said

"Yeah, once you get to know him he'll loosen up" I said as Stuart grabbed my hand

I said goodbye to George before walking down the road with Stuart. I noticed Johns eyes fix on us, clearly not impressed. As it was late Stuart stayed the night at mine. We were up chatting for hours before i fell asleep on his shoulder. When i woke the next morning Stuart was just coming round. His grip round me tightened, probably forgetting i was there. I sat up and flopped onto my belly.

"Morning sunshine" I said resting my chin on my hands

"Morning, we're going to Johns today" Stuart replied

We quickly got ready before heading to Johns. George was stood outside smoking.

"Dont go in, its like bedelom" George warned

I told Stuart to stay where he was before going in. John and Ivan were arguing.

"IM LEAVING" Ivan yelled

"FINE, WE DONT NEED YOU ANYWAY" John replied

Ivan stormed past me, huffing something to me.

Over the course of the year people were coming and going. Stuart stayed well away from John and drummer Pete Best joined. At that moment all that was left was George, John, Paul and Pete Best. I also stayed away from the band.

"I dont understand Johns personality, everyone clashes with him that much they hate him" Stuart said as we laid on my bed in
nothing but our underwear

"its John" I replied

I then rolled over so our lips met. His arms wrapped around my waist and held me tight. As the band fell apart mine and Stuarts relationship grew.

One day i was home going homework, i didnt know where Stuart was and George came to the house crying. I brought him to my room and sat him on my bed.

"I had to leave, John is talking down to me and abusing me, Paul isnt much better" George explained

Then somehow the band was just John and Paul. I realised this band wasnt going to last, they were falling apart terribly. I was offered to join the band but i didnt have much hope in it and plus i had left school and become a car engineer. People could take their cars to my house and i would fix them. I was too dedicated to the job to be in a band. But i realised the band needed me.