Irene had heard around one day in her nursery, that one of the maids saw Rudien sleeping on his wife's lap at one point. She didn't know the extent of its truth, but the child did feel happy upon hearing it. I hope it's true that they're getting along a lot better.

Meanwhile, as Rayvis would go and take his sister to play around the garden, Irene took this opportunity of freedom to gradually learn how to walk. He would notice her grabbing onto the edges of the flowerbed walls, and trying to lift her body as she walked along while clinging onto the bricks for support. It was then, he had decided to take her hands, and assist her in strengthening her legs.

Although he was only four, Rayvis was a very smart child. His love for books and constant curiosity always made him a reliable elder brother, despite the fact that he was still young. As Irene held tightly onto her brother's hands, he would walk behind her, providing her guidance and support.

Little by little, as Rayvis' fifth birthday approached, Irene was finally able to walk without her brother's help. In fact, she had skipped straight to running, managing herself steadily and hurrying around her nursery while giggling victoriously.

After ten and a half long months, I've finally conquered this body!

On the day of Rayvis' birthday, the Cherliann family decided to host a small party. Sarah had invited the three other duchesses of Laydel - as well as the two marchionesses that were often seen with the four. They also brought their children, who were similar to Irene and Rayvis in age.

As a gift to her brother, Irene had run across the hall and tackled him with a hug, to thank him for his help and to show her affection. Rayvis was so touched, he started crying, hugging his sister back while exclaiming "I love you too, Rene!"

Meanwhile, a jealous Rudien was trying to suppress his envy in the corner of the hall.

The party was small, but enjoyed by all those who had attended. As Irene and all of the other children played together, she familiarised herself with the young faces - who were also side characters in her original novel.

There were the two sons of House Firventia — twins who would later come to befriend Isabella and Daniel later in the story. They were Haren and Ivan Firventia — a pair who were almost completely identical in their appearance, but opposites in personality. As of now, the twins were three years old, and had grown rather curious of baby Irene as she played with her elder brother.

There was also the daughter of Duke Atlan — Prince Daniel's biological cousin, Freya Venesthesia. The girl was still an infant at the moment. Freya and Irene had originally hated one another in the story, mostly due to the latter's complete lack of respect and kindness. Irene was not initially very likeable as a character, that was for sure.

Now that I think about it, Freya isn't the best character either... I should try to keep my distance from her, since I know what kind of character she's going to become.

Since the duchess of House Einfred was infertile, as of now, she hadn't brought any children to the party. However, once Isabella came to awakening her abilities in a few years time, they would soon be adopting her into their family.

Lady Einfred was always a kind soul, who adored children. While writing about her before, Hanna poured every wonderful aspect of a mother into this character. Becoming close to her wasn't a bad idea. It would later be beneficial for her, to befriend Isabella.

Truthfully, I really can't wait to meet Isabella... Irene thought, rather excitedly. She's the character I admire the most.

As the marchionesses of Drevera and Perchant were both older women, their sons were already in their teen years, and had come to mingle with one another as well as watching over the younger children, or trying to ask Duke Cherliann for advice. Irene recognised them as the successors who would take their parent's place by the time the real novel took place.

There are a lot of people here, but there's still so many characters to come... She thought, as one of the adults picked her up. It was Rudien, who was starting to feel lonely, it seemed. Although the teenaged boys were continuing to ask for his wisdom, Rudien offered his advice, but kept his daughter close to him.

I guess he just felt like carrying me... She thought.

A while after the party had come to its end, the Cherlianns bid farewell to their guests, and Irene fell asleep in her father's arms. She hadn't realised it, but she was exhausted after using up all her energy running around and being doted on by everyone. Rayvis too, had grown tired, and had climbed into his mother's arms.

"You know, Rudien," Sarah smiled, turning to her husband as the two of them took their sleepy children to their rooms. "You've changed a lot since Irene was born."

The duke silently took in these words, a small smile forming on his face. "Is that so..."

As they walked through the long corridors, Sarah stopped at the door to Rayvis' room, and smiled. "You look more like a father everyday," she commented, as a guard opened the door. "I look forward to seeing what the future of our children will bring."

And with that, his wife disappeared into Rayvis' room, to tuck their son into bed. Rudien glanced down at Irene, softly swiping her little white tufts of hair over her face as she slept. The warmth in his chest, which he once had grown totally numb to — finally became a familiar and welcome feeling.

Once he had brought her back into her room, Rudien continued to gaze down at her for a moment. She appeared so sound and peaceful as she slept. This tiny child who was no bigger than a pillow, had taken up such a large portion of his heart.

Not once did Rudien anticipate this feeling. An emotion that came like a warm embrace, similar to the mother who cherished him when he was a child. Those pleasant memories of his hadn't come forth at all, until Irene came into his life.

   It's all thanks to you. He thought, bringing his daughter close so he could kiss her forehead. His soft red lips gently pressed onto her skin, as he lovingly tucked her into bed. I still have a long way to go, but I'll do my best to protect you and make you happy, Irene.