Ch 4

The dreaded day came, it was the 12th of November and Lea needs to fly out to Sydney as she needs to rehearse with the orchestra and her brother, Maestro Gerard, before the concert on the 15th.

"I don't want to leave, Raf. Dito na lang ako, please?"

"Lea, people paid to see you. Ano ka ba? It's just a week. We'll see each other again. I promise," I replied reassuring her.

"Promise ha?" she pouted.

"Yes, love. Promise," I told her before kissing her pouting lips.

"Sama ka na lang kasi sa akin," Lea coaxed me.

"Eh hon, I have work. My leave's about over na. I promise susunod ako sa Melbourne. I just have to make paalam sa work. Okay?"

"Edi h'wag ka na mag-work. Kaya naman kitang buhayin," Lea blurted out as her tears brimmed.

"Hey, hey, don't cry," I said trying to stop myself from laughing. Sa totoo lang, nakakaawa 'yung itsura n'ya pero natatawa ako sa sinabi niya, "a-alam kong kaya mo akong buhayin and you're kidding about my job, right?"

"No!" she said as tears fell from her eyes, "seryoso ako."

I heaved a sigh, akala ko nagbibiro — turns out seryoso pala s'ya, "h'wag naman ganu'n, hon. I mean... I love you but I don't want to be a burden."

"You won't be," she sobbed.

"Susunod ako. I promise you that. Let's not argue, please?"

"Okay," she said hugging me tightly.

Fact check: Lea Salonga is truly a babii. Guaranteed!

Concert day came. I know that Lea's sulky as she kept texting me wishing and hoping I was with her. To her knowledge I was still working but I managed to take another leave just right before I came back to work. I was going to see her on the Sydney concert, regardless. I just didn't want to get her hopes up just in case there were some changes of plan. But luckily for the both of us, there weren't any.

I hopped on the plane at 10am and arrive at the Sydney airport by noon. I immediately headed to the hairdressers to get a haircut as well as some change of color. From blood red I went back to my natural brunette hair. I wanted to look more matured and a bit unrecognizable. Afterwards, I headed to the florist to grab Lea a bouquet of her favorite flower — peonies.

Only a matter of time for me to get ready and head to the Sydney Opera House. It was a waiting game until all audiences were allowed to head inside the Concert Hall of the Sydney Opera House.

An hour has passed and the first half of Lea's repertoire was over. As always, she garnered a well-deserved applause and standing ovation. A fifteen minute break was given to the audiences. As we exited the concert hall, people were perched, hence, they've been ordering drinks — alcoholic and otherwise. On my account, I ordered myself a mocktail just to blend in with the crowd.

The interval of Lea's concert went well and people were crazy about it — myself included. After the concert was over, people lined up to get their merch signed. I waited from afar for the last person on the queue to be 2nd in line— still with the bouquet of peonies at hand.

Lea was signing the last person's merch and was smiling with relief as that was the last person on the queue.

For me, that was my signal. She already packed up and was just about ready to get up when I yelled from not so far away, "Miss, wait up! Can you please sign my merch too?"

She looked my way and her eyes twinkled. Her tears brimmed as she covered her mouth before she could even cause a scene as there were still a few people around.

I slowly walked towards her but I don't think she can longer contain her excitement as she leapt up and almost ran towards me. She gave me a tight hug.

"I like your new hair better. You look masculine and matured. Ang gwapo mo lang," she whispered.

"Here, flowers for you," I said as I presented her with the peonies.

"You're such a fan. No questions asked," she smiled, "they're my favorite."

"I know."

Lea then held my hand and carted me to where Michael (Cassel) and Kusie were.

"Guys, this is Rafa, a good friend. Kusie, you recognize?"

"Yes, manang. Si red," Kusie said with a chuckle.

"I told you," Lea told me also chuckling.

I replied with a smile as I was getting shy.

"Hi, nice to meet you," Michael greeted me.

"Pleased to meet you, sir," I replied politely.

"Raf will be tagging along with us, Michael. I hope you don't mind," Lea informed Michael using her charm.

"Not at all, Lea."

"Thanks."

"Not a problem," Michael smiled then nodded before he walked towards his staff while Lea, myself and Kusie stayed in our positions.

"Sabi mo you can't come?" Lea faced me, "why would you even do that to me? You made me sad the past few days pa, you'd be here naman pala."

"Well, surprise?"

"This is priceless, you know. How was the concert? Did you like it? It's the same lang naman pero with a different orchestra. Hope it didn't bore you."

"You're asking me? Lea, it was spectacular. You're spectacular. Sheez. Why would you even think otherwise? You did such a great job! You deserved every applause and every standing ovation, love."

"Awww," she pouted, "thanks, love. I appreciate that."

"You're very much welcome," I replied trying to save our conversation as Kusie's eyes were trained on us.

Lea could only chuckle when she realized the scenario we were in.

Oh, Lea. What to do with you?