A Fresh Start (2)

Gosh, it's been so long! I'm really busy nowadays I hardly have time to upload more... But anyways, enjoy!!! :P

+++++++++++++++++

                “THAT’S ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!” I screamed at the top of my lungs and threw my arms around Mom’s neck.

                “Katherine! You’re choking me.” Mom swiftly wretched my arms off her throats, gasping for air. I peered at John who had his face buried in his breakfast like my white mutt Pete I had when I was little. Oh, gross.

                Okay, let me rewind the scene a bit. When I woke up this morning to the harmonious music of chirping birds and soft rustles of leaves weaving through gusts of wind, Mom yelled up to announce that she and John will be going to a vacation in Italy next few weeks, about five days after I start school. And yep, you guessed it, this little oddball family of mine is the slightest bit obsessed with all things Italian. Which, in truth, hadn’t been all too shocking to me because Mom did take some pasta cooking courses and the fact that she and John had never honeymooned anywhere yet is a bright red flag they will go somewhere soon. So, who know? Maybe I’ll get a baby brother or sister when they come back.

                Back to the vacation thing-a-ma-ging, I would be staying home alone for about a month or so.  At times like this, I sort of question my parents’ adequacy in, well, parenting. But who am I to complain? I’m a teenager with the house – mansion – all to myself for gracious’ sake. C’mon gimme a whoop! Speaking of which, Mom still hasn’t even forbidden me from throwing a party–

                “Oh, Katherine, but no parties okay?” Mom narrowed her eyes. “I don’t want to come home with arrays of unidentified objects strewed all over the living room. Puke on the carpet. Nothing of the sort. So don’t even think about asking.”

                And there goes my dream of throwing some huge bash for my soon-to-be friends. Gosh, this is a bit unfair, Mom should at least trust on some of these things. What fabrication will I make up, when I tell my newfound buddies that I have to house to myself but a red ‘no-go’ light for partying. They would think I’m weird or something.

                “Your bacon’s ready.” Mom’s voice penetrated into my daydream, effectively bringing me back to Earth. “Eat before it gets cold.”

                Or John snatches it from me.  I added, eyeing a suspicious-looking John who happens to be done with his breakfast at the exact moment mine is served. Without wasting time, I slid up on my chair and began gobbling fresh omelet and crispy bacon into my mouth.

                Mom stared at me all worried, “Katherine, slow down. You’ll choke.”

                “No way! John will steal mine.” I replied, continuing to eat. At the corner of my eyes I saw Mom sighing and looking heaven-wards in her signature ‘My Daughter is So Dramatic’ look. The corner of my lips curled up slightly in humor, You and me both, Mom. Oh, and John, too.

                In record speed, but not being too disgusting of course, I finished my food and cleared the table. “I’ll be upstairs, okay. I’m way behind in my novel.” Not waiting for an answer, I dashed up the stairway and into the comfort of my new room. Taking a deep, calming breath, I stop all my other running thought and started furiously hitting the computer keys, focusing solely on the ideas about the book that kept on popping out like salted popcorns in the microwave. This scene is especially fun to write on; it’s the scene where my protagonist is getting her first kiss with a boy she crushed on for so long.

There I was, sitting on top of the field waiting for fireworks to start alone with a guy I had crush on since seventh grade. Trying my best, praying to whatever being that might be listening, that I won’t mess up. We talked about stuff. Just random things at school and such. I pretended to be listening in rapture, but really I’m thinking of ways I could sneak up a kiss that won’t make me come off as a desperate, never-been-kissed girl. Even though I kinda am.

 He leaned in a little closer, still talking. Still smiling at me with that heart-melting smile. He seemed even cuter than usual which is saying a lot since he’d always looks cute to me. I glanced away for a second, not sure about what to do. Sure, I want to kiss him. Always has. Dreamt about this way too many times actually, but I’m so nervous. Oh god, what if I mess up. What if I’m a lousy kisser? Would he still be smiling at me? What if I have bad breath? Wait, do I have bad breath? Oh no, he’s not smiling anymore. What’s he thinking? I should say something. But what can I say? Think. Think. Think.

“Um, Brian?”

“Hmm?” He replied, flashed me an adorable smile, dimples showing. I forgot how to breathe for a second.

I racked my brain for something remotely witty to saying. “I-uh…I…I like fireworks.” That’s it? Great, he must think I’m so stupid right not. I like fireworks. Seriously?

But before, I could flagellate myself anymore, I felt a hand cupping my chin. Gently turning my face towards him. Brian gave me another grin, “Me, too.” He whispered. And within a split second my lips touched his. There were fireworks. Like literally.

                Pausing my fingers on the keyboard, momentarily stopping my story progress, I took a minute to wonder if I would ever have the chance to encounter something as amazing magical as actually falling in love. And not with just the I’ll-go-out-with-you-so-you-will-stop-bugging-me type of guy either. I can’t help hoping.

                I shook my head. Clearing away so seriously inane thoughts. School first, Katherine! As Mom would vehemently tell me. The incessant ticking of my vintage-looking clock drew my attention to it. It’s ultra cool, custom-made hands – thanks to John who agreed to order it in spite of the bloodsucking price – made me aware of the fact that I haven’t eaten lunch yet. My stomach vocalized its agreement. Okay, time to take a break.