Chapter 23: Crooler III

CROOLER

After Razcal had been made into her First Advisor, the protests in front of the palace had only worsened. Crooler thought she recognized some of Rinona's soldiers among the shouting crowd, but she couldn't be sure. I guess I was right, she mused. Rinona and Grizzam are likely in cahoots. After her meeting with Reegull, Crooler had sent a letter to Lord Razar, asking for his help in the matter at hand. During this time, she decided to figure out who was truly on her side and who wasn't. Reegull had evidently proven himself as her ally, while Razcal, Rinona and Grizzam were her enemies. And yet the former still lives inside the palace with me, Crooler observed. Still, she wouldn't risk alienating or threatening Razcal; at least she wouldn't have a few days ago. Now, Crooler was willing to take stronger steps to insure herself against her enemies. After Reegull, I went to Rukus, she remembered. How challenging that conversation was! While Reegull hadn't needed any conversation to determine where his loyalties lay, Rukus had been the first one that Crooler needed to confront and subtly interrogate.

"Why'd you ask me to meet you in private, Your Grace?" Rukus had asked just yesterday. "Your father never had me do this before."

"I'm not my father, Rukus," Crooler had said. "I'd rather not be anything like him. I called you here because I'd just like to know your opinion on a few matters." Rukus had been surprised. "You'd like to know my opinion?" he had repeated, chuckling slightly. "Now that's really a first. What would you like to know my opinion on, Your Grace?"

"My firing of Rinona, and my subsequent appointment of Razcal to her position." Crooler hadn't wanted to mince words; instead, she needed a clear idea of who she could trust and who she couldn't. "To be honest, Your Grace, I don't know if I'm the best person to ask," he had replied, trailing off. By Cavora, there really is a reason why no one asked for your opinion before, Crooler had thought, but she had forced herself to smile and press forward. "I really want to know what you think," she had insisted, and Rukus had eventually answered. "I think it was smart," he had answered. "Razcal is way smarter than Rinona, and he's loyal to you. So I think it made sense." Interesting, Crooler had thought. Either he's loyal to Razcal, which is why he's talking him up, or he's a moron, which is why he really thinks that slimy raven is on my side. Either way, I don't need him with me, nor do I want him. Crooler had stood up and gestured for Rukus to leave. "Thank you, Rukus," she had declared sweetly, much to the rhinoceros' bewilderment. "You may go."

After Rukus, the only member of the Queen's Council she needed to interrogate, Crooler changed her focus to her closest guards. Crug and Crawley are the commanders, she thought. She had left their interviews for today, and since Razar was now making good on his promise by having his ships dock in the harbour and unload their cargo, Crooler decided to find the two of them and discern their loyalties. Leaving the observatory, where she had watched Razar's ships arrive and then depart, as well as the protestors outside, Crooler knew that at least one of the two captains would be in the barracks, where the Crocodile Guard lived. She nodded respectfully in greeting as she passed Rukus, walking by the throne room. There, she also saw Razcal, who was writing something on a piece of parchment. Noticing her, he rose and bowed slightly. "Ah, Your Grace!" he exclaimed, his excitement transparently phony. "Good morning!"

"What are you writing?" Crooler demanded suspiciously. "Oh, just some matters relating to being the Master of Gold," he replied quickly. "Remember, I'm not just your First Advisor anymore," he chided. Crooler clenched her jaw; she could tell that Razcal had added that in to remind her of how he had gotten that position. Fine, Crooler thought angrily. You're done pretending to be friendly? Then so am I. "Razcal, give me back the pin," she ordered. To her amusement, the raven seemed genuinely surprised. "What? Your Grace?" he added. "You heard me," Crooler said, her voice cold. "You're fired. Give me back that pin." Razcal looked around before stepping closer to her. "Have you forgotten what we did? Or rather, what you did?" he whispered. "Are you sure you want to—"