"I don't see anyone," Morgan said, scanning the treeline as her knuckles grew white clenching her bow. 

"Alseida said they'd be here," I said turning in a small circle looking for any sign of life. 

Underbrush rustled to the side of us and the clank of armor rang out of the small beach. Armor. Immediately, our hands went to our swords as Morgan released an arrow in the direction of the noise.

A Vidalian soldier stepped out from the treeline with his hands up and his eyes wide. An arrow was sunken into the tree right by his head.

"I come in peace!" The soldier said; he was young—eyes filled with fear.

"Toss us your sword," Peter said, still holding his weapon at the ready; the reflection of the fog glinting off the steel like a murky mirror.

The young soldier tentatively reached for his scabbard and tossed the sword onto the ground; the steel clinking on the stones.

"Who sent you?" I asked. 

"I've come to meet you," The soldier said his hands raised in the air, "I'm part of the Narnian underground."

"Prove it," Peter said; his grip tightening on his sword.

The soldier slowly moved his hands to his helmet; eyes scanning us for any threat. He lifted off the helmet and let it hit the ground. He had a head full of curls, and tucked into them were two, short horns, "I'm part faun. My whole family is."

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Bernard. I'm a descendant of the House of Bellicus,"  His words tumbled out of him quickly as if afraid that we'd charge at any moment. 

The House of Bellicus was a family of fauns that tended the lands in the southern reaches. Someone in his family that was taken to Vidalia must have kept their records close. 

"You may pick up your sword," I said as I strode over to the boy, "How is it that a half-faun has not only survived in Vidalia but made it into the kings guard?" 

"I just hide my horns. That's what my whole family has had to do," Bernard said as he shifted from one foot to the other.

"Do you know why we're here?" I asked. 

"Yes," His eyes took on maturity that a boy his age shouldn't need, "I do."

"I guess it will help us to have a link on the inside," Morgan said offering the boy a kind smile. 

"I can take you to town where we'll lodge you," Bernard said tossing his head in the direction of the village. 

"Lead the way," I said, gesturing to the dirt path.

We proceeded through the forest; pushing through brush and weaving through trees. There was no life in these forests; no dryads stepped out to say hello or chatty foxes hopping out into the path asking to race. It was just us and the lifeless trees. 

"Bernard," He was pulling a bush back for us to continue on the path, "Have you heard anything of the princess? Is she...alive?"

"As far as I know yes," We all stopped in the path watching him, "Although, three nights ago...something happened."

"What? What happened?" My heart beat wildly. He couldn't have spoken fast enough if he had tried.

"The princess tried to kill the regent—Erik," Bernard said; gazing around the trees for any sign of an errant villager listening in. 

My breath left me. Part of me swelled with pride—she was brave; a true lionheart. On the other hand, Erik was a cruel man. Repercussions would surely follow her actions. I knew the risk was taken for her, her people, and everyone she loved—I would have done the same.