12. Chapter 12 Schumann - Kinderszenen, Op. 15 No. 7

Start from the beginning

She's listening to a playlist that's made up of popular pop music for the most part. Incredibly repetitive songs that basically only use two or three chords throughout the entire song. The lyrics in some of them are pretty bizarre too.

"Hey kids, spelling is fun!"

"Yeah you got that yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy."

"I know you love Shrek, because we've watched it twelve times."

Plus a bunch of Korean songs that neither of us can understand.

I feel like an old lady complaining about "kids these days."

"Sure, go ahead." 

I connect my phone to the Bluetooth speakers. I continue playing Schumann's Kinderszenen Op. 15 No.7 where I left off an hour ago. A very gentle and pleasant song. I was stumped, not having written anything after fiddling around with the piano for hours. Listening to it was helping get my creative juices flowing again.

It was one of the songs that helped inspire my very first piece when I was seven. Looking at that composition now makes me cringe, like one of those embarrassing memories that keeps you up late at night. It sounds terrible, I can't believe I actually played it on TV a couple times way back then.

Alyssa laughs. "Is this all you ever listen to?"

I roll my eyes playfully. "Hey, you interrupted me while I was in the middle of practicing." 

Leave it to Alyssa to show up at the apartment unannounced at 9pm and insist I come to a party with her. Her ability to persuade people is honestly kind of scary sometimes.

I take out my phone and open up a music composition app. Mom commissioned some software engineers to develop the app specifically for me a few years ago. It's not really necessary, I had been fine using free ones in the past. I will admit it's helpful though, having one that has exactly everything I need - and more.

"C'mon Mel, when are you ever not practicing?" she teases.

I stick my tongue out at her and return to my phone. I create a couple random bars with some ideas as I listen to the song. It's not the easiest without being able to properly play and hear the actual notes myself, but hey, look at Beethoven. Let me follow my delusional aspirations to be as talented as him.

"It does sound pretty though," she admits with a soft giggle.

-----

"We're here," Alyssa announces gleefully as we pull up in front of a giant house. Above the front door are some Greek letters engraved onto a rectangular golden plate, "ΑΔΠ"

We enter the house. It's crowded, dark, and noisy. Dim outlines of people and furniture are barely visible. The strong smell of alcohol and musk hangs low in the humid air. The loud, low bass music vibrates deep in my chest. We weave our way through tightly packed groups of people, most of them greet Alyssa enthusiastically. It seems like there isn't a single person here who doesn't know who she is.

A couple of excited looking girls quickly rush up to us.

"Hey Liss! Where have you been?" A red headed girl quickly pulls her into a hug. She's wearing a short blue dress and subtle shimmery glitter on her cheeks.

One of the other girls, a small brunette, suddenly notices me. "Oh my gosh, you must be Alyssa's cousin, Melody right? I'm Carmen, you're so pretty! I love your outfit!" she exclaims in a heavy valley-girl accent.

I've barely nodded before she pulls me into a bone crushingly tight hug. Her skin is hot and she smells like a mix of alcohol and perfume. "N-nice to meet you," I manage to choke out with the little air left in my lungs.

She and one of the other girls take my hands and start pulling me through the house. "Let's get something to drink!" I turn around with panicked, wide eyes towards Alyssa. She just gives me an encouraging wave and shouts something over the music about having fun. What have I gotten myself into? 

-----

After god knows how many shots, I find myself sitting on the floor in the hallway with a bunch of other girls. My face and body feel flushed and hot. Everything is kind of fuzzy and the room feels like it's spinning, but I'm good, so good. I can't even remember the last time I've gotten this drunk.

"Cole huh? You're so lucky," the girl sitting across from me, I think her name is Megan, gushes excitedly. Her uncoordinated tipsy movements causes her to spill some of her drink on the floor. I doubt anyone will notice though, the floors here are already so sticky. "He's so hot." 

The girl sitting next to her, Grace I think, scoffs and flips her long brown hair over her shoulder. "He ghosted me last semester. Me! How dare he."

"Relax Grace," Carmen laughs and nudges her. "You ghost guys all the time, maybe it's just like, the universe giving you a taste of your own medicine or something."

Even my intoxicated brain can tell I'd find these girls ridiculous during any other occasion, but my intoxicated brain also doesn't care.

"I agree with Megan," a really pretty girl with long black hair sitting next to me adds. I have no clue what her name is. "We had a friends with benefits thing going on a couple months ago." She proceeds to go into detail about their...endeavors. It makes even more heat rush to my already flushed cheeks.

As another girl shares her... thoughts on Cole, I get a heavy and uncomfortable feeling in my chest. My mind is too fuzzy to decipher what these feelings are. I blame the alcohol. Cole and I are just friends.

Right?

The last thing I remember is someone handing out another round of shots and I suddenly find myself standing in a different hallway alone in a confused daze. I'm holding a red solo cup with no recollection as to where I got it from, nor what's in it. The party is still going strong. There are probably even more people now than when I got here.

"Hey, I haven't seen you around before," a deep voice says. "Which sorority are you from?"

I turn, and my already palpitating heart speeds up even more. Golden blonde hair, chocolatey brown eyes, chiseled features, and a bright smile. "O-oh I'm not from here," I stammer, trying to steady my spinning head. I still feel incredibly disoriented. "I'm...Melody, Alyssa's my...my cousin."

He raises an eyebrow and grins. "Oh, well nice to meet you, Melody. I'm Chris." He reaches out to shake my hand. "You're from out of town eh? Maybe I could show you around." He places an arm around me and starts leading me somewhere.

The alcohol is dulling my anxiety as we walk through the house. It's dulling everything in fact. What is even happening?     

--------------------------------

A/N:

kpop fans please don't come for me 😂😭 

Thanks for reading! :)