A Strange Waitress

Start from the beginning

"I'm fine, ma'am, thank you for the room and dress. I would like to work as a waitress here until I can find some other way to pay for a room and board." Y/n didn't say it with any harshness or venom in her voice, but her eyes told a different story, they were full of determination which wasn't usually present in someone who was going to become a waitress in a run down pub.

"Are you sure you're alright, dearie? If you need a day or two to get your mind straight and everything sorted out it's no problem," Alice assured her.

"It's fine, Miss Brewer. I want to start working as soon as I can to repay you for your kindness. Your son made sure I wasn't dying in that alleyway and you both offered me a place to stay even though you don't know me and I don't have any money on me. It's the least I can do," Y/N assured her. Alice was a little taken aback but she nodded and began to explain to Y/N all she would need to do as a waitress.

"Well people usually start to come in once the sun starts to set and we close the bar by midnight, I know it sounds early but people still come in for a late supper and I can only afford to buy so much drink and food with how few regular customers we get." Y/N nodded as Alice went on, "The chef works back there," she pointed to a door behind the bar, "So that's where you'll take order slips and pick up food. I'll take orders from the bar and you can cover the rest of the tables, if anyone bothers you don't be afraid to give em the boot! We might be tight on cash but I don't tolerate any funny business from the men round here. You got me honey?"

"Yes, ma'am," Y/N was glad to hear that Alice didn't take anyone's shit, "May I ask a question, Miss Brewer?"

"Of course dear, and you can just call me Alice."

"Well, Alice, is there a ton of trouble around here? Are muggings and robberies really common in the nearby alleyways?" Y/N asked, trying to sound like she wasn't plotting on how she was going to change that.

Alice sighed and nodded, "Yes, the three rooms up above are for the workin' girls who come in to escape an angry John who won't leave em alone. They were originally for customers who needed a place to sleep but those poor girls would run by all torn up and bruised I had to do something about it. I feel bad chargin' em but I need the cash and they get paid up front, unlike me."

"I see," Y/N muttered, "And that 'Guard Dog' you mentioned earlier, he won't do anything about it?"

Alice looked a little shocked that Y/N had heard her but she agreed, "Yes, he don't do shit about stuff like muggin' or robberies. Guess they aren't a big enough problem for Her Majesty to bother to care. What are ya thinkin' Y/N?"

"I'm thinking," Y/N said after a pause, "That I care and someone needs to take care of those asses who think they can get away with that forever." Alice was completely silent in shock. A small smile tugged at her lips.

"I believe you're absolutely right, Miss Y/N. So what are you going to do about it?"

Y/N explained her plan about working as a waitress for Alice while the pub was open and doing patrols after closing time. Alice listened patiently as Y/N went on about her plan, hoping she didn't sound too crazy. "Well," Alice finally said, "It sounds like a truly wonderful plan, really it does Y/N, but where would we get the money for a weapon for you to use?"

"That was my only problem: funds. And I'm not taking any of your money, I want to earn it myself, you need all you can get," Y/N sighed, it really wasn't the only hitch in her plan but it was the biggest one, she had taken self defense classes for almost as long as she could remember and if she could save up for a pistol she could just use scare factor for the most part and not actually have to get her hands dirty.