Chapter 3: Hard Decisions

Start from the beginning

I just stared at him saying nothing until he stopped buckling and realized that I was as serious as I could be. "You can't be serious?!" He said exasperatedly and chuckled bitterly. "What are you playing at, Holly?"

"Nothing," I said as I rubbed my arms, staring anywhere but at him.

"I don't understand," he said in a whisper as he stared at me in awe, disbelief and curiosity. "Do you want some grand proposal? Is that what you were looking for?"

"No."

"Then what?" He hissed, probably now realizing I wasn't joking one bit about my decision. I bit my lower lip and turned to him just in time to see him gaping still in disbelief. "What, Holly? You were the one who said you loved me. "

I sighed. "I can't," I said once again and pulled out the ring. "I can't force you into this, Calvin. I love you so much I don't want to trap you into something...something permanent!"

He crossed his arms. "Yeah, and this is your decision we're talking about, huh? This is my decision. I want this."

"No, you don't want this! You don't even love me," I said said as I walked towards him, grabbed his hand and put the ring back in his palm. Now that it's out of my finger, I could clearly see what it looks like; the ring is half a centimeter wide and just fits my finger perfectly. It is made of gold with silver sparkles around it that made me realize that these stones are diamonds. It curled around in a three flower design that showcased more diamonds on the the plant. The more I stare at it, the more I began falling in love with it...

I snapped my gaze away from the ring and pursed my lips. No, I can't force him into this just because he managed to knock me up. No. He deserves love just as much as anyone. Even if it hurts me to reject him like this, in the end, it would always be for him.

"I want you to experience love, Calvin," I said as I stared at his smoldering blue orbs. "I love you, yes, but that doesn't mean that I would have to trap you into this. I want you to experience love and marry that someone you actually like."

He drew a ragged breath and I smiled sadly at him. Cupping his cheek for a while, I saw his eyes flutter close and his breathing stabilizing.

"I want you to be my wife, Holly."

My heart skipped a bit. Something it does only when Calvin speaks like this. You can't seriously be falling for his words, my subconscious sneered at me which snapped me out of my reverie.

"No you don't. You want to be the father of the child, yes, but it doesn't have to be like this. I don't want a...a... Marriage...like that."

He gave a strangled groan as he tried his best to stay patient with me. "Let's get this straight," he said with exaggerated hand movements. "You are in love with me-" I nodded at that point "-but you don't want to marry me because you want me to find someone else not you?"

Maybe at some point, yes. "No," I said, rubbing at my forehead, feeling an upcoming headache coming. "I mean, yes...I mean..."

Taking deep breath, I tried to get my thoughts straight. "I mean, I want you to find love whether that be me or someone else. I can't take that happiness away from you. "

"And I have to be the father to the child!" He whined like a child deprived off his favorite snack, still keeping his patience even though it's running short.

I pulled on the hem of my shirt down and pouted at him. "You can still be the father you want... Just not the marriage."

Finally snapping out of his carefully placed patience, I saw his eyes redden. "Holly," he started as he stalked towards me again. "I want this. This decision, I want this, Holly. You're the only woman who could ever make me do this and I don't think I would be able to anymore if you...you..."