13. the same soul

It was odd, watching the group of them interact

It was odd, watching the group of them interact. It was obvious that they knew each other well, they knew just what made each other tick.

They knew the right way to support each other and care for each other, and the right time to back off when needed. They worked in perfect harmony, this well-oiled machine that had been chugging along for so many years...and then there was Ashton.

She threw a little wrench in the gears. A little bump that threw everyone off for a minute before they got back on track. She put them all on edge a little bit, it was obvious. Well, to me at least.

I knew what they were hiding from her. Liam had told me the story of his vanishing sister when we first started dating, but when Niall called to say that she was here in the city, he never stopped talking about her.

Sometimes the guilt was too much. He would have panic attacks and nightmares where he'd wake up screaming for her. He was terrified that she'd find out and disappear again.

Typically in those moments, he'd call Harry. Harry had a strange kind of sixth sense where he just kind of knew when he was needed, over the last year or so of actually being with them I had found that he was kind of the person they all turned to.

He was a good guy, so incredibly charming it was unreal. I was really thrown off by the way he acted around Ashton because she seemed great and funny and very nice, but there was a weird vibe between those two for sure.

I was glad that Ashton was here though, not only for Liam but for myself! Until recently those boys never brought a steady woman around, I was always trying to make friends with one-night stands or their current fling, but it was never anyone serious. I was excited to get to make actual friendships with Ashton and Kenna.

Kenna told me about Rose too, and she sounds fun! The idea of having close girlfriends warmed my heart. I'd been watching this family of boys for so long, but I would never be a part of them. Not like Ashton was.

I just hoped the guilt wouldn't ruin me too.

I had faith that everything would work out okay though. We were walking down the street now, headed to the trains, and I couldn't help but smile as I watched them.

Louis had an arm around Kenna, a cigarette dangled from his other hand. Liam was ahead of me, his head thrown back in laughter while Harry giggled beside him. Niall was running down the street with Ashton on his back screeching and laughing while she clung to him.

They were a family and I was lucky to be here. Made me miss my stepbrother. I was glad he was coming to the city finally. I hoped they would like him when he was around.

My rambling thoughts came to an end when I heard Louis start to shout to get everyone's attention.