seven

𝑊𝐴𝑅𝑁𝐼𝑁𝐺𝑆
⚠︎︎ slight nsfw
⚠︎︎ degrading/coarse language

☻︎

Alone in her office, Kaira stared at the wall, utterly lost in thoughts. She could hear the ticking of the clock and the slight, faint buzzing of the light above her head.

2:34.

Her day was far from over, and it felt agonizingly neverending. She had trouble concentrating on her clients; her mind was filled with thoughts about Light, the Death Note, the previous night– she was distant. She was mentally somewhere else, and although time passed as it usually did, it felt slower.

That was until the phone sitting on her desk buzzed, automatically letting Rebekah's voice be heard through the intercom.

"Kaira, you have a visitor. Do I let him in?"

Shit.

"Uh, yes. Thanks, Beks." Kaira's voice quivered slightly, not enough for Rebekah to notice any difference but enough for Kaira's ears to detect it. She clenched her teeth, annoyed that Light could get her so tensed. No one could ever control her temper, except for him, it seemed.

It probably wasn't even Light, right? He wouldn't be dumb enough to come and threaten her at her workplace, right?

That was stupid. She knew desperate times called for desperate measures, and she knew damn well that Light was desperate to get his notebook back. However, that meant she possessed leverage over Light. How long until he found a way to reverse that? To Kaira, it was a matter of time, yet she was completely stuck on what to do.

From across the room, she saw the doorknob being twisted, and her heart sank, not ready to confront neither Light, nor whatever that thing that was with him was. Seeing it again meant she could no longer convince herself it was a trick of the eye.

Light entered the room, seemingly as calm and composed as usual. He glanced at Kaira, sitting at her desk and gave her a sly grin, walking over to her desk. He had on a white shirt, perfectly buttoned all the way up, a sandy-coloured blazer and a red tie. It made him look a lot saner than he actually was; he looked good. So good, Kaira almost forgot about the fear travelling through her veins; it almost vanished through thin air along with any logical reasoning she could conjure.

"Hey."

"Why are you here, Light?" She uttered, voice no longer trembling. Again, she couldn't let Light perceive any weakness, or she could easily lose her advantage. Her eyes scanned the room for any sight of Ryuk, but this time, he was nowhere to be seen.

"Now, that's a dumb question for such an intelligent woman. You know what I want." He sat on the chair in front of her desk and leaned back, letting the chair hanging on its two back legs. His eyes grew darker, still resting on her face; yet again, they contained sparks of amusement in them, as if he'd never get tired of toying with her.

"I do, and like I said, I'm not giving it back."

Quickly, he rebalanced the chair and leaned forward, leaning on the desk closer to her, "Just admit that you have no idea what to do now, sweetheart."

He grinned, letting out a sarcastic chuckle, clearly amused by this situation, "I mean, I'm quite enjoying this little game we're playing. We can play for a bit, but in the end, you'll lose."

"You always seem so certain about yourself, why is that?"

"You see, Kaira, you can try to seem unfazed all you want. You can try to sound confident, you can appear in control, but your eyes tell me you're mortified."