one

A/N: This is a Death Note AU where Misa isn't dating Light and does not have the Death Note, lol.

☻︎

           "I don't know... he just... worries me sometimes." Misa trailed off, sipping on her iced coffee as she stared into the distance, preoccupied. She played with the straw, looking everywhere but into Kaira's eyes, perhaps feeling embarrassed about having to ask for help.

"What do you mean by that?" Kaira replied, folding her hands in her lap. She felt her phone vibrate next to her thigh but chose to ignore it, focusing all her attention on her friend.

    She and Misa have been friends since Kaira could recall. They were extremely close; they had a bond similar to that of sisters, only they weren't biologically related. Thus, part of Kaira felt obligated to help her out, no matter what the problem was. Also, she was more than delighted to support her, except this time, it revolved around a topic she despised: Light Yagami.

    No one in the entire world could make Kaira grit her teeth quite like Light could– he was a self-absorbed, arrogant, manipulative prick who had never shown Misa any gratitude or respect whatsoever. To be fair, there was a lot Kaira didn't know about their relationship– or whatever it was that they had, but anyone could see that he didn't deserve Misa's friendship or support.

    "He seems... oddly distracted," the blonde replied, scratching the back of her neck with one hand while the other held onto her cup.

    "Isn't he always?" Kaira scoffed, rolling her eyes. She noticed Misa was still frowning, to which she instantly sighed, "I'm sorry. I want to help. I do. I just think he isn't worth your time."

    "He isn't, quite frankly, but a part of me can't help but care about him, you know? I want him to be happy, that's all."

    Kaira swallowed the words that were boiling on the tip of her tongue, scared that if she let them there a second longer, they would spill. Misa knew how Kaira felt about Light; thus, her even thinking of asking this favour meant she really was worried.

    Kaira forced a smile and glanced up from her drink, already regretting the words that were hanging on her lips, "What do you want, exactly?"

"I just want you to talk to him. Get coffee with him, anything. Use your psychology skills to you know–" she trailed off, letting out a nervous chuckle, "–make sure everything's fine with him."

    "Coffee? Why would I want to get coffee with Light?" The brunette retorted instantly, an arrogant scoff escaping her lips. She rolled her eyes and continued, "Light and I aren't friends."

    "I know... I just thought that you could help me out, that's all. I understand if you don't want to. I just had to try," Misa gave her a sympathetic smile and looked up, her eyes sparkling under the light above their heads.

    "Don't do that."

    "Do what?" Misa replied, a grin forming on her lips.

    "Give me that look. You know I feel bad when you do–

    "Hm. Is it working then?"

    Annoyed, Kaira groaned, her upper lip subconsciously pulling her mouth into a grimace. She sighed, perhaps too dramatically as if to embody her current annoyance and grabbed her cup from the table, pulling it up to her lips, "Fine." 

    "What?"   

    "I said, fine–

    Before Kaira could finish her sentence, Misa had already squealed and slammed her cup on the table, standing up from her seat to run toward her friend. Her arms rapidly wrapped around Kaira, pulling her into a tight embrace. Misa squeezed, earning an annoyed whine from Kaira, who despised physical affection, hugs in particular.