the perks of insomnia (oneshot)

Start from the beginning

there was a moment of silence as loki waited, tense.

"you can relax, loki. it's only me."

"i know that," he said perhaps a little too firmly.

the microwave beeped and you got up to place the tea bag in your mug. but looking at the liquid in the cup, your stomach rejected it. too much on the mind that the stomach was upset. you threw in the tea bag to let it steep and carried it to the table.

you slid the mug toward loki. "here."

he looked at you incredulously. "but...this is yours."

"i don't feel like drinking it. go on, you can have it."

he stared at the steaming mug. "thank you." loki seemed to like the taste because he took two sips despite the tea being scalding hot.

you nodded at him and sighed, putting your head in your hands. he looked worn tonight, a look you weren't used to seeing him in. hair greasy, clothed in a faded green henley and sweatpants. you never thought you'd see him without his armor and suit on.

"why are you looking at me like that?"

your face heated up. "sorry. i do that sometimes. i wasn't trying to be creepy."

he cracked a smile but it didn't quite meet his eyes. "i do that too. often stark likes to tell me i should 'take a picture, it'll last longer.'" he shakes his head.

"no way, he says that to me too!"

"really?"

"yeah." and you smiled a little bit. "i'm in my own little world so much that most of the time i don't hear anything anyone's saying."

"sometimes the world is nicer inside your head." he sipped his tea.

you pursed your lips. "and other times, it's hell on earth."

"i'll drink to that," loki said and raised his mug. you laughed, feeling some weight leave your chest.

"no, but seriously." his face settled and his eyes met yours for the first time in the conversation. "if there is anything you, um, want to talk about, i'm here. often i am told that i am a good listener."

you smiled at him and you felt lucky that you were able to see this side of him. the warmer, gentler side. "thanks, loki. i appreciate that."

you sat in silence for a few minutes. it wasn't all that awkward; you both seemed to understand that neither of you were going to pry at the other's problems, and you liked it that way.

you stood up from the table. "wanna play a game?"

surprisingly, he said, "what do you have in mind?"

you shrugged, walking over to hallway outside the kitchen and crouching down to have a look at all the games in the cabinet.

"ever played boggle before?" you asked.

"that word game with the annoying hourglass?"

you nodded and retrieved the game from the cabinet, making sure to close it silently so as not to wake anyone.

"rules are simple. see these letter cubes? we shake this container," you pointed to the box holding the letter cubes, "and start the timer. we have a minute-thirty to find as many words as we can."

"interesting."

you collected some paper and pens, distributed them, and sat down across from loki.

"hope you can write fast," you teased. "i'm kind of a whizz at this game."

"we will see about that," he said back. "because surely i know more words than you."