chapter ten | hospital wing

Start from the beginning

Concern was evident on her face however, as the matron took in the harsh marks on his arms. She took hold of one of his stick-like arms, and inspected it for a few seconds before placing it down softly.

"Severus," she said slowly, her eyebrows furrowing. She seemed to be coming to the same conclusion that Severus was. "If this is from what I think it is, how have I never noticed before? He's been in here multiple times but I've never..." She stopped short as she thought back. "Unless these are new but...no they're scars, old ones too."

Severus shook his head, swallowing thickly. These scars were not new, that he was sure of. This child had endured years of abuse, he knew now, and he learned to hide it quite well. Something Severus had become well aware of in the short few weeks he's known him.

"He most likely covered it with an accidental glamour, Poppy, or someone else placed one on him, but I highly doubt that."

She nodded sadly, her hands now busy trying to find something to do to help him. The only issue was that what he needed was not physical help. What he needed was out of their grasps.

"It's not your fault," he said softly. Poppy nodded, but she looked quite glum. "You couldn't have known. None of us could have. The only way anyone could have realized what was going on was if his glamours fell. Although, come to think of it, has he never come in for his start of term check up? Shouldn't that have been done by the first week of school—"

He has cut short in his ramblings as a soft groan from the bed drew his attention. Severus looked down quickly as the boy began waking.

He watched as dazed green eyes opened slowly, taking in their surroundings. Severus tensed, waiting for the inevitable so he could stop it before it got too far.

It took a few moments, but it happened.

The boy began breathing rapidly as his eyes widened upon taking in the hospital wing, then Madame Pomfrey, then Severus, which sent his breathing into overdrive. He quickly sat up in the bed as he brought his knees to his chest and placed his hands in his hair, pulling.

Severus could hear him muttering the word 'stupid' over and over again.

The man quickly grabbed the boy's hands before he could injure himself like before, and held them in his one hand as he placed another on the boy's back.

"Relax, you are not in trouble. You're in the hospital wing. You suffered an anxiety attack and I brought you to see Madame Pomfrey. You are okay. Nobody is angry with you, Potter."

A few more moments of soft talking, the boy relaxed his breathing but he still looked rather tense. Severus figured that was a given.

"Just relax," he said, trying his hardest to reassure the boy without allowing his anger at his abysmal relatives to slip through. "Madame Pomfrey is going to run some tests and ask you a few questions, and then you are going to relax for the rest of the day."

Harry looked at the man, a confused expression crossing his face, and he opened his mouth to speak, before changing his mind and just nodding his head. Both the adults released sighs of relief as the child calmed down enough so Poppy could run her tests.

She waved her wand in a series of different, intricate patterns, muttering to herself and tsking every few minutes. After a while, she looked towards Severus with a grim expression on her face, holding a rather long list of parchment paper.

"Severus, if you will, I need to speak with you." She nodded towards her office, distinctly trying to hide her concern from Harry.

He saw it though.

"What's wrong? What happened? Is -is something wrong with me?" he said, nervous hands fisting in his shirt.

"Nothing's wrong Mister Potter," she smiled softly at him, "I just wish to discuss a few things with Professor Snape. Would you mind eating something while we talk? It would do you well to gain a few pounds."

Harry flushed red, but nodded. If he could get some time alone he'd do anything.

Poppy smiled, before calling a house elf to bring up a few snacks for Mister Potter, before gesturing towards Severus to follow her into her office.

Severus gave one last glance towards the boy, who was occupying himself by picking at his food, before following the woman.

He could only imagine what was on the parchment.

~

a/n here's a short chapter to hold you over!! i'm already working on the next one and i mighttt have to split it into two because it's so long!! but i hope you enjoy this one for now, and if anything seems off or if you have any questions or corrections please let me know!! <3

next chap will be the adults discovering harry's abuse in depth, harry's thoughts on the day, and some more evilness from dumbles :)

ravenclawsv