TRUTH

"I need you to tell me what's going on, tell me everything you know," Nick said. This was the second time he'd said this, but he'd allowed Karl to take a shower and get comfortable first. Karl didn't want to but Nick had insisted he get cleaned up, he looked awful. He also gave him some of Clay's old clothes to wear while his were being washed.

"I already told you, I don't have a clue why they're after me. I also don't know why they lied about having me. And all the things they were saying aren't true, I want you to know," he murmured, eyes pleading. "I'm not dangerous, I'm just scared and confused."

"It's okay, I believe you," Nick mumbled reassuringly, giving Karl a pat on his bony knee. He had a blanket wrapped around him and he was sitting in a chair beside the fire. It really was cold, something that wasn't usual for the town. The house stayed the temperature it was outside, and Nick figured it was around sixty degrees fahrenheit. Karl shivered again.

They sat in silence, looking out the gap in the curtain that Nick had pulled so no one could see Karl, studying the starry sky.

"It really is pretty here," Karl whispered, more like thinking aloud.

Nick looked at him, seeing the way his eyes had changed as he got more relaxed and comfortable. Now he didn't look as scared, he looked content, and those eyes were full of awe at the view.

"I wanna show you something, you're not afraid of heights, right?"

When Karl shook his head no, Nick eagerly grabbed the brunet's hand and dragged him up the stairs and into his bedroom. He slid the window open, making sure it was locked in place and wouldn't drop on them, and climbed out onto the ledge, helping Karl do the same.

"Aren't we gonna get caught?" Karl whisper-yelled, but he didn't look super worried.

"Don't worry, I do this all the time."

Karl didn't protest and Nick let go of his hand, reaching up and pulling himself onto the roof. The brunet looked at him like he was insane and Nick chuckled, before reaching down and grabbing onto his forearms. The brunet looked like he wanted to object, but Nick didn't give him the opportunity before he lifted him up onto the roof. He was lighter than he looked.

"Thanks," Karl murmured before looking up at the sky. "Woah," he breathed.

Nick got what he wanted, he saw as Karl's eyes light up once more, this time with even more admiration at the beauty of the sky. That was the only thing Clay was never able to argue with, how beautiful L'Manburg was. It was breathtaking there, never a depressing day.

"You like it?" the ravenette asked, eager to hear his answer.

"Yes," Karl replied. "It's absolutely stunning, you're so lucky you get to live here." Another breeze swept over the boys, but since they were on the roof without anything to block the wind it was significantly colder. Karl shivered and said, "Wish I brought my blanket," before wrapping his arms around himself in a hug.

Nick chuckled and took off his t-shirt, handing it to Karl. "Here, don't worry, I got two more layers under this," he said, offering a grin which Karl returned before taking the shirt and slipping it over his head.

He was wearing one of Clay's long sleeved green shirts, so it didn't look bad, but he looked like a child because his arms were tucked into the shirt to preserve warmth. He didn't seem to care, though, instead he laid back and stared straight upwards to the stars. Nick didn't bother to join him, he kept an eye on the dark road below in case someone was out at this hour and happened to see them. The other he had trained on Karl, amazed by the sparkle in his eye from the reflection of the stars.

He didn't know what was wrong. It was almost as if the first half of the day never happened, he hadn't really directed a thought towards Clay since he saw Karl cowering at his door. Oh well, it was a nice distraction from the pain of his leaving.

"Why'd you help me?" Karl said, breaking the comfortable silence.

"What do you mean?"

"You could've easily given me up, could still easily give me up. Why are you protecting me?" Karl asked disbelievingly, refusing to make eye contact with the ravenette beside him.

"I'm not really sure, if I'm being honest. All I know is that I'm not gonna give you to them, call it instincts, call it morals, whatever, I just can't," Nick said, revealing it to himself as well as Karl.

The brunet didn't say anything else and Nick didn't either. They sat up there for an hour when Nick noticed Karl beginning to doze off. He shook him gently, helping him up and lowering him onto the ledge. He told him he could sleep in Clay's bedroom, or his old bedroom, and left him to get some sleep after telling him he'd probably be gone before he woke up the next morning for work.

He then climbed into his own bed, rubbing his tired eyes. He laughed a little then at the ridiculousness of the situation. He was such a hypocrite, it was literally the day prior that he'd told Clay he wasn't willing to do anything that could change their way of life, and here he was with a boy sleeping in his best friend's bed, a boy that was wanted by the officials. Part of him knew this was coming, he thinks. Not necessarily a random boy appearing out of nowhere, but he could sense the change. And he wasn't complaining, either. Maybe change could be nice after all.

He laughed again, he really was the biggest hypocrite of them all. If only Clay could see him now, he'd be the one saying I told you so. But he wasn't here, and Karl was. Nick was so desperate for someone new, not necessarily to replace Clay, but to fill the void he left, that he let this complete stranger into his house. Not only that but a stranger that was dubbed 'dangerous.' His laughter had subsided but he let out one last chuckle at this.

Karl, dangerous? Karl will be dangerous the day I run after Clay.

-

Word count: 1,062

A/N: i have no idea what to put on here today so... karlnap.