A Fluke in the System

Sherlock comes into the lab, having been chasing down leads on who could have plastered that loop of Moriarty on billboards all over the city. He looks around, seeing nobody around.

"Hello?"

"Oh hello, Sherlock" Molly says, walking out of her office.

"Oh, you're here. Anyone else working?"

"Umm, no. Since when do you not want my help in favor of another pathologist?"

"I'd rather deal with someone else today, is that so wrong?" He makes to leave, but before he can, she pipes up.

"Why??" She crosses her arms. "Sherlock Holmes get your arse in here and explain."

"You're still all emotional from that guy....er...Tim?"

"No I'm not! And it's TOM.".

"Yes you are, you're yelling at me."

"Because you're being an ass."

Sherlock chuckles and quirks an eyebrow. "Is that really such a shock?"

 "Tell, Sherlock. You're in a very weird mood...what's going on, are you in trouble again? You haven't seemed this jittery since you came to be about...well, jumping off the roof..."

"Me? Jittery? No I'm...fine."

"Then why are you here?"

"Well, Greg suggested that I should come and inform you so you aren't blindsided by the headlines and such...uh, he wanted me to inform you that the Yard is going to arrest me for murder...and the case in my favor isn't looking very good for me."

"What!?"

"For killing Magnussen."

"Oh God...what did you do..." She trails off, her expression falling Into a sullen one. "Sherlock, but you were doing it for self-defense...er...defense of another actually."

"They don't believe that, and I wasn't really. I was pushed into a corner with no other way out from my treason and he was a narcissistic blackmailer. I suppose Mycroft is pissed enough to let me rot this time. I sort of stole his laptop with government secrets on it and traded it for Mary's immunity with Magnussen."

"You were just protecting John and Mary. I can see why Mycroft would be mad, but is he really mad enough to let you go this alone? Sherlock...these are serious charges. If you go to trial...he can't do anything if that starts."

"Yes, I know. According to the law, my actions were not exactly self-defense.  Blackmail isn't a physical threat so..."

"Yes well...it's defending your friends. London needs you, he saw what happened last time the city turned on you."

He sighs softly and looks down. "I wish I was optimistic about this, but I don't see a way out this time...at some point, I suppose I knew I'd have to answer for my actions and Mycroft wasn't the only person who saw what I did that day. If it comes down to character witnesses or anything else they can think of, would you be willing to testify on my behalf?"

"I will." She looks at him softly. "Whatever you need. You know that."

Sherlock looks at her softly, the vulnerability and fear shining through his kaleidoscope orbs. "Thank you. See you later, Molly." Sherlock saunters toward the door, a bit of his confidence gone from his step. 

"Hey, Sherlock?"

"Yes?", he turns around to face her, his Belstaff fluttering.

Molly goes over and kisses his cheek, going on her tiptoes. "Don't lose hope. The moment you lose hope or confidence in yourself is the moment they'll attack the hardest. Stay strong."