5 | Reunited

Phil shall live!

••••

"Hi, I'm Steve Rogers."

"I'm Jessica Liberty. Nice to meet ya!"

---

"Why don't you ever run away, Steve?"

"I gotta show them I'm not afraid of them. That I'm not going to take their crap laying down, that I'll fight back. Besides, I don't like bullies."

---

"I'm...I'm going to join the army, Jess."

"Oh? Well, If you're enlisting, then I am, too."

"What?"

"If you can get in, then so can I."

---

"If anything happens to you, Jess, I don't know what I'll do!"

"You won't need to do anything, because nothing will happen to me! I'm not a little girl, I can take care of myself."

"I just worry, Jess."

"You don't need to."

---

"Peggy, if you ever find Jess, tell her I-"

---

Jessica's eyes flew open.

"Where am I?"

•••

Jess was in tears, clutching herself tightly to her best friend, her face buried in his neck.

His own big arms were wound tightly around her, nearly lifting her off the ground as he buried his own face into her neck, breathing in the scent of her hair. The faintest whiff of cinnamon reached his nose. He hugged her as tight as he could without crushing her to death.

"I thought you were dead," he mumbled. "I thought I'd never seen you again. Redskull took you. I-I tried so hard to get you back! I - you - I mean...I...I'm just so glad you're here; alive."

Jessica chuckled into his neck. "Me too, Stevie. Me too."

He pulled back, his hands on her shoulders, looking deep into her beautiful chocolate-colored eyes. "How are you still alive?" He asked, moving his big hand to her small cheek.

"That's something that will be discussed after you and the others go save the world," Fury interrupted, giving Steve a stern look.

Steve nodded, before looking back down at his best friend. "I'll be back," he said, hugging her again, just as tightly as before.

"You better be," she replied, giving him a quick squeeze around the waist before he ran onto the jet with the others.

Jessica watched the jet fly away, and she turned to Director Fury. "You better explain everything to me."

He sighed, nodding his head. "Follow me."

He led her through the helicarrier, and into a room that was slightly less destroyed than all the others, and sat down across from her at a table. "What exactly is going on out there, Director?" Jess asked, pointing vaguely at a window behind her.

Fury sighed. "In simplest terms, a god of mischief from another planet is trying to take over the world, and is destroying New York City in the process. He has an alien army called the Chitauri, and the Avengers - the team Captain Rogers is on - is fighting to bring them down."

"So you put five people against an army of thousands?!" Jessica exclaimed, staring wide-eyed at the man across from her.

Fury nodded. "Uh, yes. That is correct."

Jessica calmly nodded her head. "In that case, someone get me a cool suit and a fancy gun."

"Why?"

She stood up, slamming her hands on the table. "I'm going out there to fight! Why else? You can't expect me to sit around here while my best friend - who has believed me to be dead - goes off to fight a giant army of aliens!"

"Private, I don't-"

"Get me a suit and a gun," she growled, narrowing her eyes at Fury.

He looked back up at her, staring her coolly in the eyes. "Someone help Private Liberty suit up."

Two people walked up to them, a young woman, and a greying man.

"I'm Agent Hill," the woman said.

"I'm Agent Coulson," the man said, grinning widely at her.

Jessica smiled back at them both. "Nice to meet ya! I'm-"

"Private Jessica Liberty," Phil interrupted, looking at her in awe.

She nodded slowly, lips pursed. "Yep, that's me."

Agent Hill gestured to a hall to their right. "Right this way, and we'll show you to your room, where you can find your new suit."

Jess nodded, smiling as she followed the SHIELD agent through some hallways and finally to a metal door. The door slid open, and Phil waited outside as Maria showed Jessica where everything was, and how to put on her suit.

"Alright, suit up, Private. When you're done, we'll get you in a jet to the city."

"Alright. Thank you," Jessica said, smiling at Maria as she walked out, the door sliding shut behind her.

Jess looked down at her suit resting on her bunk.

It was red, with a United States flag stitched into the shoulder of the right sleeve, and a white star on her back. There was a blue belt wrapped around the waist, and two holsters containing guns. At least, they look like guns. Everything seemed so unfamiliar so far to Jessica.

She quickly snapped out of her stupor, remembering that her best friend is being attacked by aliens.

She quickly tugged her suit on, tying her hair into a messy bun and slid on the tall white and blue boots. She feted outside and hastily followed Hill and Coulson to a jet.

Fury was waiting by it when they got there. "Stay close to Rogers, Liberty. And don't get lost. New York City's changed in the last forty years." He was handed something by another agent. He held it out to her and she saw that it was a mask to cover her eyes. It was blue, with a white star next to the outside corner of each eye. She put it on her face and looked up at Director Fury. "Good luck, Private. And go kick some alien ass."

She saluted him. "Sir, yes, Sir!"

•••
A/N:

Sorry it's so short! But you guys were getting antsy! The next chapter will be full of Jessica and Steve romance and an action-packed fight with some aliens!

What do you guys think Jess and Steve's ship name should be?