Chapter 42 - Cheap Pizza

Începe de la început

"Yeah," he spoke between deep breaths, "what's up?"

Elias rolled her eyes slightly before explaining, "Do you ever feel like time slows down during missions?"

"Oh yeah totally, some of them can be so boring I feel like I'm there for days," Barry replied obliviously and Elias groaned.

"No not like that, I mean like time literally slows down. To the point where everything is moving in slow motion, like something straight out of the movies" she explained and Barry's joking expression slowly molded into a confused one.

"I mean I definitely move fast enough that sometimes it seems like everyone else is slow, but I don't think I've ever seen everything actually move in slow motion," Barry explained while scratching his neck, utterly confused why Elias would even bring this up during training.

Elias mumbled an 'oh' at his words. Barry quickly questioned her statement, "why do you ask?"

"...sometimes when I'm in urgent situations, time seems to slow. It's only happened a few times but that was why I was able to vibrate my molecules to save Wally," she explained, feeling rather silly to talk about her strange experiences.

Barry nodded his head slowly in understanding, "like that one scene in that X-Men movie?" he asked. Elias narrowed her eyes at the comparison, but nodded nonetheless.

"I'm pretty sure it's not just adrenaline, but I don't really know how to explain it further. Do you know what it is?" she asked eagerly, hoping he'd have an explanation.

Barry pondered for a moment with a hand on his chin thoughtfully, he hummed in concentration before returning his focus to Elias. "There's a possibility that both your brain and body are able to access a higher level of the Speed Force than your typical rate. If you reach a high enough speed you can experience time at a different rate separate from your surroundings. Which can create the slow motion effect you're telling me about." Elias raised her eyebrows in disbelief.

"What? It's not completely absurd. The Speed Force is all about time and moving through reality, and we already know you're capable of reaching higher speeds than me," Barry explained but Elias still wasn't sold. "Maybe this phenomenon you're experiencing is like a hyperdrive version of your regular abilities that allows you to tap into the Speed Force at a significantly higher level."

Hearing Barry's words made Elias less skeptical of his seemingly insane proposition, she allowed herself to believe it was possible. "So...let's say that is what's going on, how do I control it?" Elias's question made Barry shrug.

"I don't know, that's for you to figure out. It's your power, not mine," Barry spoke with a grin and Elias slouched in disapproval.

"You're my mentor, you're supposed to teach me how to do shit."

"Language!" Barry quickly called out, "this is one thing I can't give you exact instruction to achieve, but I have help you start." Elias crossed her arms over her chest and waited for him to continue. "You said you're only able to do this thing under extreme circumstances, right?"

"Barry I swear if you start putting me in some life threatening simulation to test me I'm going to lose it," Elias warned with an accusing point.

He quickly raised his hands in defense, "No I would never," he said in a not very convincing manner. "I was going to suggest that maybe we can find a way to manually initiate the reaction your brain goes through in extreme circumstances, but in a controlled manner to trigger your ability." His words made sense to Elias, but it seemed outrageously impossible to achieve.

"And how am I supposed to do that?" she spoke in an unamused tone.

"We'll figure that out. For now, see if your hyper speed initiates during any upcoming missions," he suggested with a hand on her shoulder. Elias immediately winced at his choice of words.