c h a p t e r e i g h t

It was about a week later and River was rejoicing as she went on her spring break. She had been waiting for the break as soon as rehearsals had started getting tougher and was glad to be getting the rest she deserved. The previous morning, she had accompanied Ricky and his dad to the airport so her friend could go and stay with his mom. She had stood in front of him at the departure gate and made sure he had everything before the pair brought each other into a tight hug, not wanting to let go. They didn't usually spend much time apart so when he left for anywhere she would always make sure she could come with him part of the way. He had eventually let her go and she had waited until he had disappeared from sight before she had retreated back to the car.
She was now sat on a plane with her dad, waiting to land in New York. Jonas had to go there on a business trip and had asked his daughter if she wanted to come with him which she had agreed to very quickly. Antoine had already told her he was going to be there for a trip with North High and the pair were excited to see each other in the big apple. They had agreed to meet at her hotel, her dad and boyfriend now coming around to the idea of her finally liking someone.
The plane eventually landed and the pair made their way through the airport before they got a cab and the girl pulled out her phone.

•••

River: I'm on my way, be there in 10 <3
Antoine: Cant wait <3

•••

They pulled up to hotel minutes later and the driver helped them with their luggage before they made their way into the hotel where Jonas immediately went to check in, leaving his daughter to look about until she saw Antoine looking for her. They made eye contact and both smiled brightly as she ran over to him and jumped into his arms. He caught her swiftly and spun her around making her laugh loudly which echoed around the building. He then set her down and they started to talk about how her flight had been.
"It's so weird that we are only able to spend time together because I'm in New York" she laughs and he agrees.
"I was worried I would have to spend my time missing you, but you're right here" he whispers as Jonas walks over to the pair and gives the girl her room key.
She takes it from him and tells her he'll text when he needs her but to enjoy her afternoon before he leaves the pair. They had decided they would just spend the afternoon relaxing in her room and they would all go out in the evening. Antoine took her luggage and they made their way to the elevator, the girl clinging to the boys hand. They eventually made it up to the floor and walked down to her room quickly where she slid the key card into the door and opened it, letting both of them in. She immediately ran over and jumped onto the bed, messing up the neatly pressed sheets. Antoine watched the girl and laughed softly as he came over to lie beside her. They joined hands again and she sighed in content. River didn't have to worry about anyone knowing about them. She didn't have to make sure no one was looking over her shoulder and didn't have to hide how she felt. She liked it.
"I ordered food to be delivered to the lobby, I can go collect it now" he tells her and she nods as he leaves the room.
After a minute, she hears her phone ringing and she opens it to see Gina FaceTiming her. She accepted the call and set the phone up on the beside table watching as her best friends face appeared on the screen. She smiled brightly as she waved and the girl smiled back at her.
"Hey G, how are you?"
"Well my flight is delayed so I'm bored out of my mind, but that doesn't matter, where are you? That definitely does not look like you or Rickys place" she giggles slightly.
"That sucks about your flight, but, brace yourself, your girl is living it up" she says walking over to the window and throwing open the curtains to reveal the skyline.
"In New York City" she sings out before jumping back onto the bed.
"That is actually incredible, you live an exciting life River Maxwell" she applauds a little.
The two continued to talk just about school and the show and how long Gina was going to have to wait. The pair were mid way through laughing at something the younger girl had said when River heard the door open.
"I got food!" A french accent shouts as the door closes behind him and the girl feels her heart drop through her stomach.
Gina gasps loudly and Antoine closes his eyes realising his mistake as the girls face visibly pales.
"Are you with someone right now? A boy?!" She asks getting excited as she comes to the end of her question.
"Yeah"
"Oh my god"
"Okay, G, if I tell you who it is, you have to promise me that you will not tell anyone about this, like not Ashlyn or EJ or anyone who could get it back to anyone else"
She nods slowly.
"Promise Gina, like say it"
"I promise" she whispers leaning towards the screen.
River turns to Antoine and moves her head to signal him to come over. He shakes his head and she can tell that he's nervous.
"She won't tell anyone"
He waits for a second before he comes over and sits with her, placing his head on her shoulder.
"Gina, this is Antoine, he goes to Nort-"
"Oh I know who this is" she smirks.
"I'll give you two a minute" Antoine whispers as he kisses her cheek and walks out of the room.
"OH MY GOD RIV, he's so cute!! But a North High kid?"
"I know, I know, but he makes me feel things that I've never felt before and he's so sweet and we're so careful and he makes me happy and I just, I think we could actually work together" she smiles and Gina nods.
She liked the way that her best friend was falling for someone who made her feel the way he did. The girls then saw that they were getting a group call from Miss Jenn and the theatre kids and both said their goodbyes before they both clicked on the link and opened it up. River was the last one to join and so waved brightly when she saw all her friends faces.
"Hey guys, sorry I'm currently in New York so I'm not sure how ideal the connection will be" she smiles and they tell her that's okay before they start talking.
"Okay looks like we're only missing Ricky, Nini have you heard from him?" She asks and the girls eyes flicker up to the screen where her best friends ex was sat.
"Sorry Miss Jenn, I think Ricky is taking some alone time or mom time or both, he's in Chicago" River buts in quickly, earning a thankful glance from the girl.
"Okay, I'm sure you're all wondering why I've gathered you all here, opening night is only three weeks away folks, that means we need to stay focused! And I know I can't, won't make you work over the break, but I needed to remind you face to face that stakes are high" she starts and everyone nods knowing she's right.
"Please, for the love of theatre, do not take the word break literally, be safe! Okay well have fun, stay in touch and now you have this link so hop on anytime, I'm basically the queen of modern technology so.."
"Alright, bye everyone" River says as everyone starts to say it back all waving followed by a chorus of 'not it's' as they turn their screens off and leave the call.
Once the room goes silent, Antoine takes that as his cue to walk back in and comes over to where the girl is. He takes her hands and they stand up together, him twirling her swiftly making her laugh.
"Do you want to go sightseeing?" He asks her and she nods enthusiastically.
"Yes that would be amazing!" She exclaims as she walks over to her suitcase to put on a better outfit for going out in.
She wanders to the bathroom and changes into a pair of jeans and a fun T-shirt with a backpack. She finishes getting ready and texts her dad about where she'll be before she puts her stuff away and the boy comes over to grab her hand, leading her out of the room.