c h a p t e r t w o

River sang along to the music coming out of her phone that morning, loving the songs she had recently downloaded. She danced around her bedroom as she took clothes out of drawers and wardrobes and put them together to make up outfits. She pondered for a few minutes before she eventually put on a royal blue thin strapped top with a pair of black jeans and a white East High jumper. She pulled on a pair of red sneakers and brushed her hair so the waves sat softly on her back. She put on a little eyeliner before she went downstairs to get breakfast. River lived at home with her dad, Jonas and his boyfriend, Joseph. She liked the pair together and liked it even more that her mother had been supportive of her father and was up until her last breathing moment. She had only been a baby when this had happened so her family had always been the same. There was always been talk of another child but the three were well aware that Ricky was enough of a brother substitute for the girl. Mr Bowen would always notice how crazy it was that the childhood best friends had grown up as if they were siblings, getting into petty fights and teasing each other but also loving and supporting each other.
The girl grabbed some toast for her first meal of the day and walked around the house as she not only packed her school bag but her overnight bag. Her parents were going away for the weekend and so she was staying at the Bowen household. She shoved clothes and other essentials in before she checked her phone for the time and saw it was about time she should be leaving. She grabbed her school bag and her bag for the weekend before she made her way to her parents room to say goodbye to them. She then walked down the stairs and plugged in her headphones, playing Ninis song that had now gotten so many hits thanks to Carlos uploading it. She slightly cringed when she had originally seen it because her voice could have been so much better but she head learned to get over it. She sang along softly as she made her way up to the building, trying to avoid the older and younger children she didn't know. She walked in the doors and walked to her locker which was fortunately right next to Rickys so he was there when she arrived.
"Hey, you ready for tonight?"
"You mean a night of us fighting over who gets the bed and ending the night by watching stupid romantic comedies again?" She asks and he nods letting out a laugh knowing she was right.
She opens the small door and shoves the bag in along with a few of her books. She looked at the photos on her locker door and smiled as Ricky slipped his arm around her shoulders. She closed the door and the pair made their way towards the theatre room before they saw that the tv was playing the new morning show for East High.
"Oh my god, Ricky look it's my best friends!" She gleams as she watches EJ and Gina go and interview Nini.
She feels Rickys arm slip off of her as he steps back to talk to Big Red, River not listening to their conversation as she watches in joy as Nini talks about her song. She loved it and had enjoyed singing it with her.
"The video released had our very own swing role Lumiere, River Maxwell, singing with you as well, how did it feel to perform the song that way?" EJ asks and the girl almost leans forward on her tiptoes to hear the answer.
"River is an amazing singer and she is so passionate, I love singing with her and I'm glad that everyone got to hear us together" she says and River smiles before she makes her way to the theatre room.
As she gets in, she sees Nini stood there looking at the views on her phone, not believing how quickly the video had blown up. The girl made her way over to the songwriter and wrapped her arms around her in a hug.
"Thanks for saying that about me on the show this morning" she whispers and Nini nods.
"Of course, how are you feeling about the whole cast thing now?" She asks as she turns to face her, taking Rivers hands into her own.
"Yeah I'll be fine, I'll show that french baguette who's boss" she winks before she lets go as she stands beside her.
Miss Jen was just finishing up her speech when River had walked in.
"And today our wonderful actor slash designer, Kourtney Greene is going to show you your completed costumes!" She exclaims which causes everyone to start cheering.
The cover gets thrown off the rack and Rivers eyes widen in awe. She begins to show off the costumes and everyone gasps in joy at the beautiful materials.
Nini cheers her on to do a speech and the girl smiles.
"Alright I guess I'm doing a speech, I'm super excited for you all to see your costumes because..." she pauses as her ringtone goes off.
Everyone gives her a confused look.
"Oh sorry, that's Howie" she smiles brightly as she messages him back.
She goes to return to her speech but is once again cut off which happens a few times before Carlos has a go at her causing everyone to go silent.
"Okay Kourt I am sorry but look at this caption North High" he says disappointingly.
"It took twenty people over fifty hours to create our Belle dress. Beast costumes ever" he reads.
"What a terrible pun" River comments.
"When we're unveiling our costumes, how could they know" he pauses.
"They've been trolling us for weeks and I'm trying to not let it get to me"
Kourtneys phone sounds again.
"Oh my god is your phone hungry? I don't understand what I'm hearing" he snaps at the girl.
"Okay okay, let's get back to our costumes" Miss Jen says and the kids nod.
"Alright first of all, River, I made you a costume that I felt was fit for you and your character" she says handing the girl a hanger.
River took it into her hands and gasped at the beautiful golden dress. She immediately wanted to try it on and ran off to the bathroom with it in her hands. She made her way into a stall and stripped herself of her prior clothes and slipped on the dress. The top of her dress was covered in sparkling gold thread and had thin straps that went over her shoulders. Her skirt ran down to her ankles and flowed freely as she walked around in front of the sinks. Her long brown hair cascades down her back softly. She walked out of the bathroom and walked back to the drama room only to see that everyone had left. She dumped her stuff before Gina ran back into the room and grabbed her hand, pulling her out of the room.
"Did you get changed?" She asks seeing her best friend stood in the golden dress.
"Yeah I wanted to see how the costume would suit me" she says and Gina lets her take a spin.
"Oh wow, you're going to outshine everyone at north high just with your dress alone" she comments and she smiles.
The pair make their way along the corridor until they find the rest of the theatre kids.
"Oh wow Riv, you look amazing" everyone tells her and she thanks them.
Kourtney couldn't help but admire her craftsmanship that was displayed on the girls body.
"So wait why are we all out here?" She asks confused.
"We think North High took out beasts mask and so we are going to get it back" Carlos says proudly and she nods as the kids all make their way out of the school.
River made her way forward to catch up with her childhood best friend, pulling Gina along with her to stand by him.
She held her friends hands proudly as she turned to Ricky.
"What a story we'll have to tell your dad later" she laughs and he nods laughing with her.
The pair smiled as everyone made their way along to the bus stop, making sure they could all get to their rival school to show them that they would be the school to beat when the time came.