Part 5

Snap.

     I looked up in surprise to see Sigyn with wide, slightly remorseful, but mainly amused eyes as she stared at my brother.

     The magnet that she had been tossing up and down was stuck tight to his helmet.

     Thor's face was looking startled as he stared up at the round object affixed to the tip of his wing before Sigyn collapsed in laughter. "I'm sorry...." She giggled and tugged at the bit of metal on my brother's helmet. For half a second, it looked like it was going to come off before...

     Snap!

     It decided to affix itself to Thor's breastplate. I hid my amused face behind my book, but Thor could tell I was laughing, anyway, and sent me a good-natured glare. I couldn't stop myself from silently shaking with laughter as my wife tugged at the magnet again.

     "For crying out loud." She muttered. "It's a stubborn thing, isn't it?"

     "I think it likes me." Thor smirked, obviously happy. He sent me a bright glare, shaking his head. "You know, brother, I am so happy you're laughing, I can't find it in myself to be upset that you're laughing at me."

     I paused in confusion. What was he talking about? I laughed all the time. The mortals called me the god of mischief. Shouldn't he be used to my laughter by now? All too many times, my joy had been directed at him, so I wouldn't have been surprised if he was utterly sick of it.

     That was when I noticed both Sigyn and Thor staring at me as if I'd lost my mind.

     "I didn't mean you to stop laughing." Thor quietly spoke as he peeled the magnet from his breastplate and sat down next to me on the couch. "You shouldn't be afraid of what I think, you know."

     Yes, I knew that. I knew that perfectly well, and I gave him an unamused look to prove it.

     "Then why did you stop?" Thor widened his eyes like a kicked puppy.

     "Prince Thor..." Sigyn sighed as she began fidgeting with the magnet again. She had never been able to focus if her hands weren't moving. "He doesn't have to laugh, you know."

     Thor sighed and glanced down at the floor. "I suppose not...." He admitted. "I'd just rather he did."

     I had to admit that I was floored. Not only because, for once, Thor wasn't forcing me to do what he wanted, but also because he wanted me to be happy, even if it was at his expense.

     Sigyn got up with a soft smile and helped me to my feet. After a week, I could kind of not precisely stumble around, as my broken legs had healed, although I was still as weak as a phantom. Sigyn had been cooking all sorts of things for me, and, in truth, I was recovering far faster than I had expected.

     I wasn't sure when the idea of them killing me ceased to make sense, but, for some reason, it simply didn't seem congruent anymore. Silently, the two of us began walking in circles around the room, with me leaning more heavily on her than I'd like to admit. Thor watched silently, his chronic billboard face displaying his obvious disappointment.

     "Why the long face, Prince Thor?" Sigyn breezily wondered.

     "Nothing..." He mumbled and forced a smile. "It's nothing."

     Sigyn sighed and gave me an exasperated look as if to wonder, is he always this difficult? I nodded in reply.

     "It's obviously not nothing, your highness." She smirked. "Now, if you're not going to tell us, so we can help, that's alright, but you're looking pretty downcast, over there."