• e i g h t e e n •

Start from the beginning

Jordan took that one alone as he glared at his brother. That was a cheap shot.

"Never have I ever fucked a friend of my parents."

Maranda and Bear drank again, taking down the Hennessy like it was nothing. Jordan didn't ask for an explanation, he didn't need the visuals.

The game went on and on until there were just two shots left at 2 am. At that point Bear had taken eight , Jordan had taken seven and Maranda had taken four. Bear's eyes were barely open as he quit and dragged off to his room with a jug of water to sleep it off leaving just Jordan and Maranda.

She was staring into his soul , a small smile on her face. One of her legs was draped over his thigh while the other hung relaxed off the couch as she laid back and stared at him. Her short black skirt and black crop top added to her calm appearance.

Both of their attentions soon moved to the last two clear shots.

"I am not doing that. Mixing is like asking for death."

"C'mon J, I think they're just water." Maranda chuckled before she reached out and grabbed one. Raising a pinky, she downed it in one gulp before quirking an eyebrow at him.

"Nah Maranda, I'm seven shots in and I got a flight tomorrow night I'm not trying to be hung over."

"Fine" She took the next one herself before she resumed her position "So, why do you look so sad? Let me guess Yara."

"Nah not exactly, I just I messed up and slowed shit that was already slow with her. I don't like this back and forth. I just want her to be with me."

Pouting, Maranda thought on his response before she shrugged.

"So, ask her."

"I did Mara, like three times now and she's said no each time. She has her business and life. She's not trying to put anything on hold for me and I don't know, I respect that she's about her business, but it feels like she's not committed. She doesn't want to put down any kind of roots and I don't know why."

"She doesn't love you Jordan, she doesn't want to stay around. That's why she's not planting any roots. I don't know why you insist on wasting your time on her when there are other opportunities, other people that would always put you first."

"Who? Mylin? I already told you and Bear, we're not like that anymore. I'll love her forever because she's special and she's Jayden's mom as well as my unborn child's but I'm not in love with Mylin, I haven't been in love with her for a while."

"Jordan, I know but don't be dumb. Yara has a past of doing this to people, getting them involved and then leaving them when commitment enters the equation. You're not special to her, you never have been. Don't let her do you like how she did Bibby or Keith or Quincy."

He blanched at the last name, he wasn't sure why but imagining Yara with anyone else especially Quincy burned him.

"What we have isn't like that. I think she wants to be with me, but I've been stupid, and she's been through stuff, stuff she doesn't want to tell me yet. Everyone has a past Maranda including you so I'm telling you Yara loves me, I can see it in her eyes. I just don't think she's in love with me and I fall in love with her more every day."

Maranda bristled at the declaration, the alcohol was coursing through her body and making her more sensitive to everything especially her feelings. In a bold move, she straddled him and took his face in her hands.

"Jordan, I love you, I'm in love with you and I have been for years. That's why I can tell you Yara doesn't feel that way. I've always dropped everything to be with you , to be there for you and I've waited for you to feel the same. Will you ever feel the same?"