After about 15 minutes of driving, Ash arrived at the spot he always comes to clear his mind. He got out of the car and walked towards the edge of the hill and sat down, admiring the beautiful view. His mind then wandered off to the nightmare and how his life has been over the past 2 months.

For these past months since his mom's death, he has done nothing he would usually do: no travelling, no battling, no adventures and most importantly no fun. These months went by grieving over what happened in the past. He knows that he should not live in the past and move on but there's just nothing that can push him up to move. Battling brings back the memories of his pokemon dying, travelling: well he travelled all the regions already, so there's no place left to explore.

There's just nothing left in his life to live for. As this thought came into his mind, he started contemplating if he should even live or commit suicide. Just as he made up his mind as a yes for the second option, the image of a familiar little honey-blonde girl flashed into his mind.

 Just as he made up his mind as a yes for the second option, the image of a familiar little honey-blonde girl flashed into his mind

The memories of the Oak summer camp conducted 10 years ago, which he forgot, came flooding into his head. The friends he made, the fun he had but most importantly the honey-blonde girl. How they met, how close they were and the promise they made.

 How they met, how close they were and the promise they made

(FLASHBACK 10 YEARS AGO)

A young Ash was chasing after a Poliwag in the forest when he came across a large bush and the Poliwag jumped into it. Ash was about to go into the bush but before he could he heard a scream. He instantly jumped in the bush and came out to find a little Serena on the ground with a scrape on her knee and tears rolling down her eyes.

He stepped near her and asked,

Ash: "Hey, I'm Ash. What's wrong?" he asked with a concerned tone. Serena opened her eyes and saw him standing in front of her with a smile.

Serena: "I h-hurt m-my k-knee," she said hesitantly. Ash knelt down and brought out a handkerchief and said.

Ash: "Here this will make it better" he wrapped the cloth around her knee and smiled and looked up at her. "Feel better, Feel better right away!!" he exclaimed childishly.

 "Feel better, Feel better right away!!" he exclaimed childishly

 Serena tried to stand up but fell again because of the pain.

Serena: "It still hurts," she said as more tears flowed through her eyes. Ash stood up and offered his hand to her.

Ash: "Don't give up till it's over, k?" she grabbed his hand and pulled her up. But he pulled with too much force and they ended up in a hugging position. They then exited the forest hand in hand.

(FLASHBACK STILL 10 YEARS AGO, LAST DAY OF CAMP)

Ash and Serena were standing there with the other students, saying goodbye to all their friends one by one. After some time all the students that didn't live in Pallet Town had left, only Serena stayed and it was her time to go too. 

Serena: "I don't want to go. I want to stay with you Ash," she said with tears in her eyes.

Ash: "I know Serena. I don't want you to go too, but you have to. But I promise when I become a trainer I will come to Kalos and we'll travel together!!" he said sadly at first but the second part happily.

Serena: "Pinky promise?" she said holding out her pinky finger.

Ash: "Pinky promise!" he exclaimed intertwining their pinkies.

Grace(Serena's mother): "Serena it's time to go" she called her daughter from the car.

Serena: "Coming mom!" she exclaimed.

Ash: "Bye Serena, have fun," Ash said happily. 

Serena: "Bye Ash," she said and quickly pecked his cheek, turned and ran away, blushing.

(FLASHBACK END)

Ash smiled thinking about that and closed his eyes. When he opened them, they were light with determination. He stood up and fist-pumped the air.

Ash: "I will fulfil my promise, Serena. Kalos here I come!!" with that, he walked back to his car and drove back home where all his pokemon were happy seeing their trainer moving on from the past.