TWENTY SIX: THERAPY

Start from the beginning

They walked down corridor after corridor, the setup reminding the girl of the lab - if she survived that mess, she could survive this one too. So far in her stay she had just had a therapy appointment once a day, it wasn't fun, but it was bearable, she just allowed the therapist to believe he was healing her and would move on. 

She was taken into a room, there was a desk with a large mirror next to it, covering the wall opposite to the door. She watched her therapist take a seat as another male doctor got out some form of contraption.

"What is that?" She asked, her heart pounding as she looked at whatever the hell it was she was being pushed towards.

"It's nothing to be afraid of, Evangeline." Her therapist spoke calmly, looking at some papers that had been left no the desk, not even batting an eye her way.

"No!" She yelled as she was manhandled into the seat, locks covering both of her wrists and stopping her from getting out, "Stop! What the fuck are you doing!" She continued to thrash as locks were put on her ankles too, tears were streaming at this point.

Wires were then hooked up to her head, making her heart beat quicken even more, it practically pumping out of her chest at this point. She was unaware of the group of doctors on the other side of the wall who were monitoring her closely.

"Evangeline," her therapist snapped, "Calm down so we can begin, you'll be out of this room before you know it."

Eve looked at him like he was crazy, her eyes connecting to his emotionless ones. The other doctor and the two guards left the room, leaving them on their own.

"What is going on?" She asks him quietly, trying her best to appear calm in hopes he can get on with whatever he was planning on doing.

"I am going to show you a series of photos, and you are going to tell me the emotion that pops up first, understand?" he asked her, she stared at him for a second before nodding her head slowly.

"Okay," he smiled and slid a photo towards her, it was a picture of a puppy.

Her eyebrows twisted in confusion, what the fuck was going on?

"Happy," She said quickly and he nodded, taking the picture away. 

The next picture was on a beach.

"Calm," She shrugs, she'd never been to the beach herself.

The next picture was of herself.

"neutral, that's me," she shrugs again.

The next picture was of Steve Harrington.

"How do you have this?" she whispered.

"Unimportant, how are you feeling?" 

"Sad," she whispered again, looking at the picture, it was one that was put on display in their living room back at their parents house, it was him in his senior year - he'd stolen her hairspray that morning to make sure he looked good.

The picture was taken away.

"You're doing good, Evangeline," The therapist told her with a smile, "It's going to get a little bit more difficult now." she nodded her head.

She was shown a picture of a random boy she didn't know and her eyebrows furrowed. 

"Um... confused," She says to him, "I don't know who he is."

"Then lets change up the game a little. Say the first word that comes to mind when I show you the photos." she nods her head at his words, looking back down at the photos.

"Ears," She says, "His stick out."

The photo is taken away.

A photo of a random girl - she was pretty. She looked up at her therapist for a second, wondering what his game was, before looking back down at it.