Part Twenty-Eight: Death And All Its Friends

'Progress is slow, people are scared. It may be too late for us, for me, but not for you. The outside world awaits. Remember, WICKED is good.' BANG

You watched as Ava Paige shot herself in head while people shot up her operation. Everything this lady told you, could it be true?
Sun flares? Scorched earth? Deadly virus called the flare? As if your day wasn't bad enough.
Her last words were WICKED is good. What was that supposed to mean? Did these people really believe that any of what they did to you or anyone in this room was okay?
Who shot up the place? Obviously, not everyone holds the same beliefs as WICKED here did.
You look at everyone but they all had blank expressions. How are you supposed to take news like this? It was all getting to your head. Newt squeezed your hand tightly. A loud sliding sound filled the silence and made everyone jump. Fresh bright light filled the room but a gust of hot air came with it.
Still grasping Newt's hand, you and the others walked left to find that a door to the outside had opened. You did it. You made it out.
"Is it over?" Chuck asked, looking at you but you just stared forward.
"She said we were important." Newt reminded everyone. "So what do we do now?"
"We get out." You told them.

"No."

A raspy voice called out, and everyone turned to see Gally standing there. He was crying heavily and he was a mess. Dirt stuck to his sweaty pale body. You released Newt's hand and pushed through the group to face your brother. It didn't take you long to notice the blackish veins growing from his neck. He was stung.
"Oh Gally." You said, your heart breaking every second you stared into his glossy dismayed eyes.
"We can't leave." Gally told you and you looked down to see a gun in his hand.
"Thomas, stay back." You told him but the boy didn't back down. In the corner of your eye you caught Minho gripping a spear.
"We can't leave." Gally repeated quieter.
"Gally, look at that door, we can get out of here. Me and you. We can start a new life outside the Glade. We can be happy and free."
"Free?" The boy scoffed, "you think we're free out there."
"I don't know, I guess we just gotta find out." You told him, inching closer and trying to take the gun, but he lifted it high and pointed it at you. You backed away quickly.
"I belong to the maze." He said, aiming the gun over to Thomas.
"Gally!"
"We all do." He said.
Before you could do anything, the sick boy pulled the trigger. Newt pulled you in his arms and turned around, blocking you with himself. A loud gunshot echoed in the closed space but it didn't stop you from hearing Gally's horribly loud gasps for air. You aggressively shoved yourself out of Newt's arms and your eyes went wide as you saw Gally, a spear through his chest.
"No... no no no NO NOO!" You screamed, Newt taking you in his arms again to keep you in place. "GALLY!" You cried, tears spilling from your eyes like waterfalls. You didn't care who saw.
You tried so hard, did so much to keep that boy alive, and now he was dead. Your brother. The only family you had left laid there, bleeding out on the cold hard ground. Gally wasn't a bad person, you knew that, he was just so scared. Scared of everything.
"T-Thomas?" Chuck's soft voice called and then he collapsed to the floor. You looked over and saw the pool of blood seeping through his grey shirt.
"CHUCK?!" You screamed as you watched the boy collapse on the floor in Thomas's arms. Newt held you tighter as you cried in agony.
"Chuck? Hey! Stay with me buddy!" Thomas yelled, shaking the gasping boy. "Your gonna be okay, alright?"
Chuck held up something in his bloody hands, a wooden figure, the moment Thomas saw it he took it.
"No, Chuck, remember? Your gonna give this to your parents, remember?" Chuck whispered something to Thomas but he shook his head, "no you gotta tell her yourself! C'mon Chuckie!"
Chuck's eyes went wide and his slow breathing had completely stopped.
"Chuck? CHUCK?! Please Chuck! NO!"
Thomas's cries for Chuck to wake suddenly got muffled by the sound of heavy footsteps and clanking of metal. You cried hard in Newt's arms and he held you tightly.
First Gally, then Chuck. That boy was always there. Was always keeping a positive attitude. He kept you together when you couldn't do that yourself. You never realised how important these people were to you before they were gone.
Suddenly, you were pulled away from Newt as he was from you. You screamed and clawed for them to release you but to no avail. They dragged you out the door and under the blaring sun. The heat hit you hard. You watched as Newt ran with the armed man, as did Minho, Teresa, Fry, Winston. They all complied.
   They dragged your body through the hot sand and towards a helicopter. The propellers spun fast and you could hear them swooshing.
Eventually, you pulled yourself together and ran alongside the guard whom of which brought you to the helicopter. He shoved you inside and you found yourself next to Minho. Thomas was shoved in last.
An armed mad jumped in after, shutting the helicopter door and banging on it with his hand. The loud helicopter suddenly jolted up and began flying away. You had no emotion, no feeling in your body. You felt numb. You felt like nothing.
As the helicopter rose, it went right over the maze, showing off what it truly looked like from above. You saw smoke rising up from the green area that was the Glade. So many people died there. So many people.
"Are you kids okay?" the man asked.

No

"Everything is going to change." Was all he said as you looked out the window to see a ruined city among a desert of sand. This wasn't your idea of free.
You looked up at Minho and he looked down at you. Then the boy wrapped his arm around your shoulders and pulled you into his chest.
You rested your head on the boy and looked out the window. You watched as the helicopter flew over the destroyed city and only one thought came to mind.

You sure as hell weren't The Girl in the Glade anymore.