I'm thankful for the change of subject, and immerse myself into listening to the lyrics. He sent me the song in the early hours of the morning, and I listened to it several times while getting ready.

It's not a song I expected from him. While it has the rock undertones, it's more sensual and slower. Like a ballad, but upbeat enough to keep interest. It sounds intimate, and the idea of singing it with him makes me nervous.

"What do you think?"

"I like it. I'm assuming the second verse is mine?"

Hudson is singing both parts on the demo, but the second verse sounds more feminine.

"Yes. We can play around with it at sound check and harmonize the chorus and bridge. Maybe we can even overlap the words together. There's just only so much I can do alone."

We quit talking as he goes through a drive-thru. I take a second to catch the breath I didn't even realize I'd been partially holding.

Hudson is intense, that's for sure. I can't decide if I like the way he makes me feel, or if I want to run for the hills.

Hudson

We arrive at the club just in time for soundcheck. I hand the tech guy my flash drive of music and head to the stage to start unpacking my things.

Josie was quiet the rest of the drive after we bickered and then I complimented her. I don't know why I did it. I guess I like the way she seems innocent. I like thinking that some of the things I've done would make her blush and gasp in shock. I like thinking that maybe little miss perfect has a wild side she's not tapped into yet.

Her big, brown eyes are taking in the stage and empty rows of tables in front of us. Tonight, it'll be filled with people eating, drinking, dancing and, most importantly, listening. I can practically feel the anxiety rolling off of her, and I hope she can pull through. I hope the adrenaline can kick in again and let that amazing voice of hers come out to play.

The notes to the duet filter through the speakers, growing loud enough to shake the stage. Josie watches me closely as I sing the first verse, then she quietly comes in when it's her turn.

I stand, all but drooling over her, as she closes her eyes and makes my lyrics into something more than I could've imagined.

Her voice is chilling in the best way. Hearing how she spaces out words and places vocal runs in spots I wouldn't have thought to makes me hop back and forth with excitement.

Each time we practice, it gets better and better. By the time we both feel comfortable with it, I'm convinced this is going to be the best song I've ever performed.

Josie leaves me to study while I run the rest of my set. The rest of my songs are burned into my muscle memory. I could sing them perfectly every time, even with ear plugs in and my eyes closed.

After a couple hours of practice, I finally give it a rest. There is some time to kill before the show and I want a drink to knock off the rest of my edge. I wander back behind the stage of the club, finding Josie studying in a dressing room.

"Boo!" I grab her shoulders and shake, getting a yelp out of her.

"You can't do that!" She shoves me away, quickly regaining her calm. "Are you all done?"

"Yep. Are you ready to sing?"

"As ready as I'm going to be, I guess."

"You're going to do great. I was going to grab a drink before the show. Do you want to come with me?"