"I'm going to stop for a bite to eat. You want anything?"

"No, thanks."

I take out my textbook and highlighter, hoping to get my reading done on the way and maybe also get rid of the awkwardness.

"Are you studying?"

"Yes."

"Wow. Dedicated." He huffs air out of his nostrils in a quiet laugh, and I feel my defenses rising.

"There's nothing funny."

"Didn't say there was."

"Then why are you laughing?"

Hudson glances over at me, clearly amused.

"What are you in school for, Josie?"

"Pre-law."

"You want to be a lawyer?"

"That's the plan."

"Come on." He laughs louder this time, "Seriously? You're not kidding?"

"What?" Nerves tickle my face as annoyance settles into my chest. "Stop laughing at me. Just take me back home."

"Hey, whoa." He takes his hands off the wheel a moment to throw them up in the air. "I'm teasing you. I didn't expect you to say lawyer. You seem quiet."

"Just because I'm quiet doesn't mean I won't make a good lawyer."

"I didn't say that you wouldn't. I'm just surprised." I can tell he's taking this lightly, but I'm still frustrated. I already feel guilty about doing this, and now he's giving me a hard time. "Timid girls aren't usually lawyers."

I cross my arms, unable to focus on reading anymore.

"You don't know me. I'm doing you a favor by coming along today and you're starting it off by mocking me."

"I'm not mocking you." I watch as he clenches his jaw, and I sense his easygoing demeanor slipping. "You're not doing me a favor, princess. I'm paying you. I'm paying you money that you probably don't even need because I bet you have daddy's credit card sitting in your wallet."

My stomach tightens at his bluntness. He's infuriating, and the worst part is, he's right. I do have a credit card in my wallet that comes with little-to-no restrictions. Fire burns my cheeks as I think up the best comeback I can.

"At least I have a career planned and I'm not trying to impress random people every day hoping I get my big break, and maybe scrounge up enough money to eat."

I regret the words the second they've left my lips. That was too harsh, and I didn't mean any of it. I'm actually jealous he gets to make singing his life. I wish it were me.

"Good one." His tone is controlled and steady, but I can feel the simmer happening within him. I know I struck a nerve. I shift in my seat, a little uneasy. "You don't know my story, all right?"

Silence falls in the cab, and I play with the small silver band on my right index finger. Just because I'm anxious for the day, and having my own inner turmoil about it, doesn't mean I get to be a bitch towards him.

"I'm sorry." I say the words quietly, "I didn't mean what I said."

"It's okay." He sighs, moving his shoulders in a circle and tilting his head side to side. "I take it back. You're definitely feisty enough to be a lawyer."

That comment makes me smile, and I bite down on my lip to hide it. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

"It's hot when you bite your lip." I release it instantly, not hiding my shock as I gape at him. "What? Your boyfriend never tells you that?" No, but that's none of your business. My stomach clenches, but I try to ignore it. It's the nerves, not him making me feel that way. He laughs a little when I don't answer. "Here, let's start over." He holds out his phone for me to take. "Let's listen to the song together."