9 - i'll hold you through the night until you smile

Start from the beginning

"You're wearing a snake ring!" she exclaimed when she noticed it, and I was surprised she caught it on her first watch.

Her smile widened when I started dancing and she leaned in closer to the screen to watch the rest of the video, looking as if she'd blocked out everything else. She didn't even notice when Olivia jumped onto her lap and wanted to be petted.

"Aw!" she said when the video ended with me smiling. "Can we watch it again?" she asked eagerly, turning to face me and making me laugh.

"So you liked it?" I asked, already knowing the answer based on her reaction.

"I love love loved it! It was amazing! Can you teach me the dance, pleeease?"

Giving her a warm smile, I grabbed my phone back from her hand, making her pout, and she tried to take it back.

"Skye, it's time for bed," I said, holding the phone out of her reach.

"But- I have to watch it again!"

I stood up and she followed me, trying her best to make a grumpy face but it only made me laugh. "Maybe after you've brushed your teeth and gotten ready for bed."

I got ready myself and went on Tumblr to give her some time before I went downstairs and knocked on her door. She opened the door in a pair of my old shorts and a Style 1989 merch t-shirt I'd found and given to her since she'd forgotten to bring her pj's.

"This is so comfortable and cute," she said, holding out the t-shirt to check it out.

"You can keep it if you want," I told her, walking over to her bed.

"Really?" She followed me quickly, jumped and landed on the bed right next to me. "This bed is so big," she said quietly, stretching her arms and legs out across the sheets and over my legs like a star, making me chuckle. Then she sat up in a quick motion and sneezed four times into her elbow.

"Bless you," I said, a slight frown settling on my face. "Do you feel okay? You're not sick?"

She shook her head. "Nope, I'm fine. Can we watch Delicate again?"

We watched it two more times and she paused the video to sneeze once more during our second watch. I was getting worried that she was sick but she assured me that she was fine, which quite honestly didn't really reassure me because she'd never actually been fine when she said she was. After the video ended for the second time, I tucked Skye into bed and kissed the top of her head.

"Whatcha doin'?" she asked, looking up at me confused.

"I'm tucking you in. What?"

She shook her head. "No, it's just... I can't remember anyone doin' that for me before. It was nice though, thank you."

She smiled up at me and I returned the smile but it didn't quite reach my eyes. It bothered me that there were a lot of things that I'd taken for granted and thought everyone grew up with, that she had never experienced before.

I was about to leave and had just turned the lights off when she called out my name.

"Yes?" I asked, turning around to look at her.

Her face looked as if she was struggling to get her words out and I gave her a smile to let her know it was okay to say whatever she had on her mind.

"Could you maybe stay and sing for me? Just one song...? I mean, you don't have to if you-"

I cut her off, walking back over to her bed. "Of course I'll sing to you Skye." I sat down on top of the covers beside her and caressed the top of her head. "Do you have a song in mind?"