Chapter Twenty-Eight: Birthday Promises

Start from the beginning

"Bryan You know damn well why its a good thing." Mia whispers slipping her hand around his waist trying to calm her husband. "Do you want to lose Katie when she is Eighteen? do you want to be kicked out of her life because we were all being overprotective jerks? hmm?" She hisses. Bryan just snorts.

"If I'm being overprotective by keeping a predator away from the girl I think of as a sister then Fine." He snaps. Mia shakes her head and kisses his lips which tasted of peppermint toothpaste. She turns and with him following behind him she heads to the kitchen.

Katie steps out of the shower, her hair plastered to her face as steam coiled around the ceiling. She goes over to the mirror and with her towel whips away the condensation on the glass, a warped version of her staring back at her. She sighs and leans her head against it, the slick wet water cold on her forehead. She had no disire to get dressed and pretend like everything was fine with the family, she didn't want to go down there and smile her way through cake and presents, just thinking about it made her angry and exhausted. But Mia's words from last night whispers across her memory Young Love, its so sweet, especially when it's true. She groans. She couldn't hurt Mia By not showing up to the party they no doubt were going to throw her, Mia out of everyone seemed the most understanding, Katie owed it to her Aunt to at least Try to enjoy her day. So lifting her head from the mirror she gives her reflection a tight smile and goes about getting ready for the days events.

"This is going to suck but you need to wait out here until I text you." Dom says to

Han as the guys sit in Dom's car, they had left Han's around the corner so that Katie wouldn't accidentally see it and figure out the surprise before it was time. Han looks at his hands in his lap and gives him a nervous Nod.

"Yeah Makes sense, Bryan isn't going to come out here and pummel me to death before then is he?" He says trying to make light of things. Dom gives him a tight smile

"No worries I'll keep him in check. He wont want to ruin today for her." He says before unlocking his door and steeping out of the car, shutting the door shut quietly behind him, leaving Han alone with his thoughts. Last night when she called he had been terrified Dom would find out and take this day away from him, but surprisingly Dom didn't mention meaning Katie had gotten away with it. He goes over that call in his mind for the hundredth time, The pain and desperation in her voice broke him, as it matched the pain that his Heart pumped through his veins, it showed just how much this separation was killing them both. He leans forward and looks out over the house, Katie within its walls, so close to him he could almost feel her in his arms, He would see her again, soon, very soon. A knock on his window startles him out of his thoughts and he looks up to see Melina Grinning like a fool on the other side. He hits the button and the window rolls down, squeaking the entire time.

"You coming in or are you just going to torture yourself by staying out here?" She asks. Han smiles and looks up at her.

"Nawh waiting for the Warden to give me the go ahead to surprise her." He says, Melina gives him a salute before heading inside, a squeal that sounded very much like Katie escapes the House and reaches Han's ears making him smile, before the door is once again shut, trapping the party and it's sounds inside.

Katie Squeals and tackles Melina with a huge hug as she enters, barely giving her time to get in the house, making her laugh and hug her friend back. Dom smiles and laughs at the two friends before clapping his hands for everyone's attention.

"Alright now that everyone is here lets have some cake!" He says heading toward the kitchen where the blueberry cheesecake with blueberry drizzle laid waiting on the breakfast bar ready to be devoured. Katie dragged behind the others muttering under her breath, Dom turns to look at her, a frown on his face, "What was that?" He asks. She throws her head back and stares at him.