𝕿𝖎𝖒𝖊𝖑𝖊𝖘𝖘 𝕯𝖎𝖒𝖊𝖓𝖘𝖎𝖔𝖓𝖘.

Start from the beginning

I didn't even know that McLeod was revisiting our ancestral house, and unfortunately I was abroad, I was in London and to investigate a case which was assigned to me. And alas! It was a great amount of shock when I heard his sudden death. My mind reeled and I had to come back in my hometown, although I still miss my travel adventures around the continent and sailed off in other islands too.

But work is work.

My mother; who is now married to a French Nobelman, always complains on her weekly letters that I never came to Paris and visited her or ever stayed with her in the mansion, and her husband, well - my stepfather. (Little did she know that I hated to stand that man and my mother together.) Upon thinking about it I fell into a great rage, without exactly knowing why.

But those thoughts didn't worked in this new problem, I cleared my throat and straitened my back - I have never visited my mother ever since I got the news that she was married to someone else - thinking about it sometimes, made me upset.

"Miss L/n," I was shaken out of my darkening thoughts, I turned up and focused my attention in front of the Mayor sitted across from me, "we need somebody who can do the work really well." Said he.

Suddenly my heart started to drum rapidly by his choking words, and a hint of anger was surrounded in my mind. How dare he say something like this!

But then he added, rather smoothly, "also your age isn't relevant for the task."

I fought down my racing heart and my tounge which was ready to dart out like a snake's. I said very casually, "Maybe, I heard you wrong. I haven't got the degree in criminology for my young age. Also in only the cource of two years I have assisted two hundred cases. I am also regarded as the best detective from the authorities. What else should be needed?" I asked.

He sighed and rubbed his face with his palm, and thought for a well suited answer.

Seriously, no one even dared to trust the only detective of the town, which was unfortunately me. Although I was always abroad and rarely visited Sleepy Hollow; I could say I was still the best detective. Even my seniors were quite impressed by my intelligence, and here was the old pompous man who was worried of my age difference, rather then the town.

"I have already appointed him!" He mumbled to himself, rather than me. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms around my chest, "who?" I asked aggressively, cocking my ears, and waited for his answers.

The Mayor looked bewildered and said, "The New York police constable."

"A Police Constable." I huffed, "I prefer you should not involve any type of outsider. We don't know what kind of man he should be." I suggested, rather darkly.

"But..." he frowned.

"But?" I egged on.

He sighed deeply, "But you are a woman."

My eyebrows went up and down in shock, and a muscle beneath my eye twitched. I was appalled. He was falling into the same pattern of thought as a dozen others. I declared, "So the main problem was the gender."

"Well," he sighed and nodded, "I mean was your-"
"I can understand all of it." I was losing my equanimity. Why were people so pig-headed as not to know or want to understand my position? My heart felt heavy.

"But why do you need this case so badly?" He asked, cross examining me.

I had no answer for his silly question as I found myself tongue-tied, unable to go on with my preposition. Instead I stood up from my chair; a little weary by this discussion. The old man was still seated and was observing by the features that I was in not-a-talking-mood.

I cleared my desk and collected the stuffs around without even looking at him, before grabbing my bag.

"I can say Miss L/n, you are the most brilliant detective. But unfortunately you are a woman."

I ignored his remark and shouted, "Mr Eglantine! Please bring those certificates and ivory cards, and ah! Don't forget to bring my diploma." I told the Mayor grandly, "Now can you indicate your preferences, and I shall show you the brilliance of my mind."

Mr Eglantine, my assistant with his silver rimmed glasses on his nose, entered, bearing a couple of papers and parchments in his hand. He paused for a second, studying the visitor, placed them on the table, turned and disappeared through the door.

"You can read these certificates of mine, from my high school, till my college. I have never ranked my exams down. For example, I never became second. My first priority was to be the first person, and the most perfect." I handed him a certificate of my study in Criminology.

He observed it and hummed, "hm... Impressive ranking." He murmured and raised and eyebrow, the mayor stood up from his seat, "but unfortunately Miss L/n, I have already appointed the constable." He clarified his sentence and fixed his hat.

I let out a dignified breathe and thrusted the certificate from his hand aggressively against the top of the table. "You may leave." I gestured him to the door.

His wrinkled nose were scrunched by my unpleasant tone. But did what I said, and went out to pull the knob of the door but before that, I remarked sarcastically,

"My great grand uncles were right, you don't deserve to become a Mayor."

_
_
_
_