Chapter LXVIII - Essence of The Stones

There was a discomfort that had clung to the team as they filtered into the small room at the back of the medical suite. Stepping into his role as leader Steve lead the march, his head high and his shoulders back as Elizabeth followed; Bucky's hand secure at the base of her spine, pushing her forwards and holding her together. Tony and Sam flagged them, their minds ready and racing, preparing for whatever tricks Loki had hidden up his sleeve. Their eyes scanned the room time and time again, searching for signs of illusion; for mischief that needed to be managed.

Thor had already been there, choosing to spend the night in the too small chair beside his brother's bed, his hair a mess of blond curls, his dress shirt from the night before now stained with the crimson marks of what had taken place. Without a word Natasha went to him, standing behind him as she pulled his hair from his face; running her fingers through it to untangle a restless night from him, tying it back for him and placing a soft kiss on his head.

"You good Point Break?" She placed her hands on his shoulders as he leant back, his head resting against her stomach.

"I'm good." He sighed.

Elizabeth watched Loki from the foot of the bed. His emerald eyes never left hers as he waited for the room to fill and the questions to begin. She felt the tug of warning, something she was beginning to recognise, as an unravelling. An unwinding of the elements around her. The buzz of the lights seemed louder, more chaotic; the chaotic energy that spilled from Pietro and Wanda, Vision and Bruce, even Peter, left cerulean sparks flickering behind her eyes and Loki watched them, enraptured by the blue that danced in and around the dark depths of her eyes.

Loki took a deep breath in, allowing his own power to simmer beneath the surface, to test the waters, to explore the space around him. There, beneath a thin veil of instinctive control, was a power somehow unique and unexplored and yet, so familiar to him.

He could taste her power. He could feel the pull of the infinity stones.

"He is ready to speak." Thor spoke for him, placing a firm hand on his brother's shoulder and nodding encouragingly at him. "The rate at which an Asgardian heals is much faster than most, although you do give us a run for our money Cap."

Steve chuffed out a laugh and glanced over to where Lizzie stood, her fingers twisting with anxiety as she picked at her nail beds. His eyes fell to her hands and Bucky followed his gaze.

Elizabeth's eyes left Loki's and returned to the blue of home as Bucky gently separated her hands and entwined her fingers with his own, squeezing gently as she cleared her throat and smile sadly up at the man she loved.

"If you're ready to talk Loki," she turned back to the eyes that seemed to examine her, "I'm ready to listen."

Taking a deep breath, Loki shifted in the bed he now sat in, uncomfortable from the pain and the scratch of the sheets. He glanced around the room, sensing their distrust and his hackles raised. He loathed being around The Avengers. Everything he was - the God of Mischief, a Frost Giant, a criminal of sorts - went against the instruction of The Avengers. And yet, there was a tiny glimmer inside him when he sat beside Thor, when he would sometimes assist in their silly little missions and would get to spend time with the woman now staring at him with eyes wide with fear, that made him feel relaxed almost. As he contemplated where to start it struck him that loathing may not have been entirely true. He didn't loathe being around all of them. Just the ones who bristled with self-righteous judgement.

"In Asgard," he began, his voice smooth and low, suggestive in its deeply soothing tone, "there were rumours."

Thor leant in. He had heard no rumours from Heimdall, but it had been a long time since he last returned to his home.