colour rush (ep.1)

my first stories will be the colour rush series. enjoy!
(t/w: drowning, passing out)

a/n: all lowercase is done on purpose.
--------------------------------
the curtains were flowing around gracefully as she sat there, holding her headband.

'my aunt doesn't recall the fact that mum was wearing a headband the day she disappeared. but i do. however, because i'm mono, i don't know what colour headband it was. i see things in the shades of grey, so i can't say.'

he sat across from her, watching her silently. out of nowhere, the world turned to water. she didn't seem phased, and just closed her eyes. the amount of bubbles she was creating decreased rapidly.

suddenly, he jerked up in a state of panic, sadness and stress.
"no!" he panted. he slowly looked around the room, before getting up and walking to the living room. he leaned against the couch, next to his aunt, and turned on the tv.
"a man in his forties kidnapped and kept a women in her thirties captive. according to the people around him, he is a mono. he became obsessed with the kidnapped victim, because when he saw her, he was able to identify colours."

'people with a monochromatic vision, those who see the world only in shades of grey, are called mono. we're different from those who have total colour blindess. our cone cells (a/n: cells in retina that identify colours) aren't impaired, but our brains can't distinguish the colours. we are able to see colours if we look at a certain someone. and that person...who opens up the world of colours is known as probe. the issue is that it's very rare for a mono and a probe to meet and there are some who don't ever get a chance to meet. monos show strong obsession towards probes because they worry that they will lose the ability to see colours again, and their obsession results in crimes. it's only right for monos and probes to mever meet one another.'

he began tearing up, before his aunt sat up and turned the tv off, still tired.

"why are you even watching something like that?" she asked, sounding disappointed. he didn't respond, but looked down. she picked up her mug off the table and took a sip, as he grabbed an a4 envelope off the ground. he read the title of the paper inside: application for high school transfer admission.

"i'm transferring again?"

"yes. this time you're going to an all-boys high school."

"an all-boys high school, and not coed?"

"why? are you dissatisfied? you don't even date."

'i hit a boy who teased me about being a mono, and now i'm transferring to a new school, once again.'

he put the paper back in the envelope, and placed it back on the floor, as she put her mug down.

~time skip~

they drove along the road, talking.
"i don't know who it is, but someone threatened to kill me if i look into the mono case again."

"so aunt, please be careful. you don't know who you are up against." he requested, worriedly.

"that's more the reason to keep digging. i'll dig, dig and dig. i must keep digging."

'four years ago, after mum disappeared, my aunt started looking through cases to find mum's whereabouts. my mum is a mono, just like me."

~flashback~
[the six missing are all revealed to be monos]
[all six missing victims are found to be monos. they all attended the same gathering and went missing right after.]