Chapter 17: It's kind of a full time thing

Magsimula sa umpisa

The moment the loud bang of the door slamming behind me, echoed around the house. The cringing sound of clicking heels grew louder, alerting me that someone was coming towards me.

I leaned against the wall with a irritating smirk, while crossing my arms over my chest with attitude.

“Ashley Vicky Donovan, what sort of stunt is this?” an annoyingly smooth, clipped and emotionless voice asked. The words were meant to be said with anger, yet they were spoken detachedly.

“Well hello mother dearest, is the world ending? Have you been replaced by someone who actually pretends to care? Or have you actually remembered that you have a family?” I ask, trying to match her tone.

My so called mother was a beautiful woman with looks so similar to Mayce’s. Whenever I see her she is always clad in a pencil shirt, with a whit button up shirt and waist blazer. Her blond hair is up in a tight bun, with not a single strand loose, or a spot on her face untouched by makeup.

“Don’t use that tone with me young lady, whether you think it or not I am your mother!” she finally cracked and allowed her voice to rise slightly with anger.

I scoff and throw my head back to laugh humourlessly, and then dramatically wipe a fake tear from my eye.  Push past her roughly and make my way into the kitchen.

“That’s funny Elizabeth. You come in here, for God knows what reason, parading around claiming to be our mother. Here’s a new flash, you can’t just pick and choose to act like one, when the time suits you. The funny thing about being a mother is it’s kind of a full time thing, trust me I know, I have practically be Lizzy’s real mother”

“Don’t” she warns pointing a slim finger at me as she follows after me, her heels clacking against the wooden floor irritably. “You know, that I am your mother and that I do everything I do for this family. So don’t make me out to be the bad guy” she glowers through gritted teeth.

“No! No what you do is not for this family, it’s for yourself. Don’t act like the innocent one, because we all know the real reason Elizabeth. It’s because dad died!” I start, my voice high and clouded with anger.

“Don’t” she shouts “Even make this about him!” she warns advancing on me.

I scoff “Why shouldn’t I? It’s the reason it’s it? You became a workaholic because he died, claiming that we need the money when we are more than well off. Or is it because whenever you’re around us, we remind you so much of him? News flash, you’re not the only one who is hurting Elizabeth”

Her mouth just opens and closes, as she wordlessly tells me that everything I just accused her of was true.

“The difference between us mother is that I have always been here for my family, when they needed me most. Where have you been? At the office. You think we care about stupid fucking money? We care – no cared about you, but you never were there when we need you. You are never here” I scream, gesturing wildly around the house.

A floor board creaks and both mine and my mother’s head snap in the direction of a pissed looking max. I had completely forgotten that he stayed here today, instead of coming to school because of how beaten up he was.   

His eyes were blazing with anger as he glared at my mother, but they momentary met mine and soften. I lick my lips and run my fingers through my hair in frustration. My mum clears her throat, stands up straight after fixing her clothes.

“Who are you and what are you doing in my house?” she ask in a smart tone, looking down at him. This coursed my anger to spike again.

I stand in front of her vision, blocking Max from her view as I growl at her “He is my friend and I don’t care what you say he is staying her. Because I will always take care and be there for the people I love and care about. So don’t you dare think you have the right to judge and look down on my friends, like you have the right to”