Chapter 17: It's kind of a full time thing

Start from the beginning

His lips were set downwards in a frown and his usually bright eyes weren’t sparkling. My heart was pounding and I gulped, while twiddling with the hem of my shirt. “H-hey” I stuttered.

His eyes snapped to me in shock and I watched as his Adam’s apple bombed as he gulped. “Hey” he replied, much more smoothly then I did. Then without another word he sexily climbed onto his bike and passed me a helmet with a small smile.

I licked my lips and awkwardly placed the hat on my head, securing it before climbing behind him. Unlike yesterday I didn’t cherish the moment, being this close to him. Because, I had that nagging feeling of hurt coursing through my body.

I wasn’t sure if it was the speed that we were zipping through the traffic, or if it was my turmoil of emotions making my eyes brim with tears. But I just bit my throbbing lip and squeezed my eye shut tight.

I wouldn’t cry. Not now. Not in front of anyone.

It wasn’t until the purr of the engine stopped and the bike jittered to a stop, that I allowed my eyes to fly open. And at that exact moment my heart stopped and I felt bile rise in my throat.

Outside my house sat a sleek silver BMW, which only meant one thing. My life had just got a whole lot worse. And that this just might be the second most worse day of my life. In list after my father’s death, dramatic maybe, but untrue? No.

My body turned rigid as my hand tightened around Nick’s waist. I wasn’t even sure if I was breathing anymore as I just stared motionless at the car on my driveway. My body jumped at the sudden contact, and my eyes trailed to Nick’s as he lay a hand on my cheek.

“Ashley, are you ok?” his voice was thick and laced with concern. I swallowed and begrudgingly torn my eyes off of his to linger on the sleek vehicle.

Lie, I begged myself.

Just lie to him.

Lie.

“No” I whispered, as my voice cracked slightly. Why? I scolded myself for not being able to lie to him. Even when it’s his fault for making me suffer in my own pit of restless emotions, all day.

I didn’t stay around to answer any question, which I’m sure were about to come, by the curiosity shinning in his eyes. I just bit my lip again and hurriedly shuffled off the bike, unclasping the helmet.

Hesitantly I gingerly passed him the tattered old thing, but even I couldn’t managed to muster up a smile “Thanks for the ride Nick”

He jumped off the bike and jogged in pursuit after me as I shuffled along the road, trying to delay what was about to come. “Wait Ash, I’m sorry for ignoring you today. I just want you to talk to me, what’s wrong? Is it me?”

I looked down at his hand clamped around my wrist, before rolling my lips inside my mouth with a shake of my head. “No Nick, it’s not you. Well you have hurt me … badly, but no. It’s not you” I whisper.

Once again cursing myself for sounding so broken, weak and pathetic.

His face broke, his whole expression sagging, pain and regret evident in his eyes. Making my anger at him, soften. It look as if it genuinely pained him, knowing that he had hurt me. But I didn’t stop to take the time out to question his questioning behaviour.

I just numbly took his hand in my own and gentle peeled it off my wrist and gave him a blind smile, before numbly staggering towards my front door. I glanced over my shoulder to see Nick still standing there staring at the ground, where I had been stood moments ago.   

I nibbled on my lip as I bored a hole in the front door, trying to compose myself and get my emotions in order. It’ the only way I can face this, if I’m emotionless or else I will explode. Sucking in a ragged breath I open my front door plastering on a saccharine smirk.