The last time she'd seen them, her mother had been crying and her father's face was wrinkled in shame and anger. They hated her for becoming so close with a member of the Lee family, accusing her of falling in with the Dark Arts like her brother. If they knew what she was doing now, risking her life to stop Voldemort and those who practiced the Dark Arts, would they be proud? Or would they be ashamed that she was still fighting against the Ministry, no matter its ideals? She wasn't sure why she cared so much, but she did. 

Her father gave a little grunt in his sleep, causing her to jump. She needed to leave before she got caught. 

"You took your time," said her brother, after she'd crept back downstairs and out of the house. "Got the hairs?"

"Yep. Got the key?"

Jacob held it up. 

"I've left a replacement in dad's safe, so as long as they don't visit the bank in the next month, they shouldn't notice. And they shouldn't need to visit the bank, there's a load of gold still in there."

"How did you know how to get into dad's safe?"

Jacob merely rolled his eyes at her naïveté before grabbing her arm and disapparating. 

***************

While they waited for the Polyjuice potion to brew, Jacob spent countless hours filling them in on the plan, taking them (in various disguises) to watch the bank, and spying on the patrons as they walked in and out, hoping to learn of any added security measures. 

Sarah was in charge of brewing the potion, so she was often stuck in the room, with at least one other person to keep watch over her. Sarah preferred when Barnaby was with her, though he often distracted her by chatting or wandering about the room with his pent up energy. Still, it was better than Merula, who had hardly spoken to Sarah since their argument in the caverns, and Elena of course hated her. Jacob also rarely spoke, unless it was to revisit a possible hole in the plan--of which, there were many--and he paced back and forth in a way that made Sarah extremely nervous. 

"I still think going first thing in the morning is best," Barnaby said, nearly three weeks into their stay at the Leaky Cauldron. He and Jacob had just returned from an early shift watching the bank. "There are less people who might see us, and all the goblin's are eager to get a start on counting their gold and aren't watching as carefully."

"I think you're right," said Jacob, causing the witches to look up at him in surprise. It was a rare occasion that he acknowledged Barnaby's ideas at all, let alone agreed with them. "Going while they're closed is out of the question; the protective charms are too strong. If we can get in and out before most people have even got there, they might not even notice they've been robbed until we've cleared off."

He looked around at the witches, from Sarah, carefully stirring the smoking cauldron, to Merula, who lay on her bed, fully clothed but asleep, to Elena, who could be seen through the open bathroom door, hastily applying makeup. 

"Oi, what's going on? We need someone watching the bank at all times. You should already be there."

"I've got to stay with the potion, this is a critical part of the process," Sarah said, hastily removing her spoon from the cauldron as its shade became a deep puce. "I've tried telling Merula to hurry up--"

Jacob went to wake Merula, pausing in front of the bathroom to bark, "What do you need makeup for? You'll be going in disguise!"

"Ugh, its too early," Merula growled as Jacob shook her. "I was on the late shift last night, I shouldn't have to go again."

"Too bad, get up. I'll have you a coffee when you get back."

"I don't mind going out again if she needs to sleep," said Barnaby, unable to entirely stifle his yawn.