Home Sweet Home

Thanks to everyone reading! Leave a comment or vote!

"What about this one?" asked Amy, Gwen's friend. While she held up a strapless brown dress.

"Amy, have you ever been to a funeral not in New York? I would look totally ridiculous if I showed up in that!"

"Just trying to help. Wait what about this, it's simple," Amy said holding up a black and white long sleeved dress.

"I guess that's fine, I'll still be really dressed up, but that's ok." Gwen said. "I'll wear those new black wedges I just bought."

"Ok that sounds good, when are you leaving?" Amy asked.

"Tomorrow, that's when the funeral is and I'm spending a week down there just so I can help get all Sam's stuff together." Gwen told her.

"Alright, well I got to go, I have a date with Will today." Amy said glumly.

"I thought you liked Will?" Gwen asked

"I did, but there's no spark." Amy said shrugging .

"Ok well have fun." said Gwen sarcastically. 

*The Next Day*

Gwen arrived at the airport and checked her bags. Great she thought, the security line was a mile long. Well, I guess this is why you arrive two hours early. She took her place in line, behind a cute brown haired guy with green eyes. The guy turned around and introduced himself.

"Hey, I'm Joel."

"Uhh nice to meet you, I'm uh Gwe.....Greta!" Gwen said. There was no way she was giving her name to some person at the airport.

"Some where are you heading to?" Joel asked.

"Willow, Texas." Gwen responded.

"Not really a tourist attraction, is it?" 

"Not really." Gwen replied laughing. 

"I'm actually from Dallas." Joel told her.

"So you're a city boy? Dallas and now New York?" joked Gwen.

"I'm actually heading home from a business trip, what about you?"

"Well, I'm from Willow, but I'm just going for a funeral, my cousin's."

"Oh, I'm sorry that must be tough." Joel said sympathetically.

"Yeah, but I'm doing ok." Gwen glanced at her watch, it had already been an hour since they started talking! It was almost her turn in line.

"Well, it looks like I'm up!" Joel said

"Ok, well nice talking to you, Joel."

"Same to you, Gwen!" Joel told her winking. How'd he know my name? Gwen looked all around. Her boarding pass with her name on it was sticking out of her purse. "Oh thank God!" Gwen said under her breath. About an hour later, Gwen was boarding her plane. This flight was direct to Austin, Texas, then she had to take a bus to WIllow. See what I mean about a small town? Gwen found her seat when her phone rang.

"Hello?! No, I'm sorry I won't be able to get that to you, I will be out of town. Yes, I gave it to my assistant, she will give it to you Friday. I'll be back in a week, yes. Ok, you too, Bye." Gwen hung up her phone frustrated.

"Busy day?" an old woman asked.

"You could say so" Gwen replied, sitting down.

"Don't worry, it gets better with age. When you get this old, they just assume you can't do things and sometimes it's for the best!" said the old woman. Gwen laughed.

"Well, I hope it gets better."

*Willow, Texas*

Gwen spotted her aunt outside the funeral home. "Aunt Mary!" she called.

"Gwen? Oh honey is that you?" her aunt asked. Gwen ran over giving her a hug.

"I'm so sorry Aunt Mary, so sorry."

"Thank you dear, it's not your fault. She should've gotten help."

"How is everyone doing?"

"Oh, everyone's fine. We've all missed you!" Gwen suddenly felt guilty. If she hadn't left, Sam would probably still be here. "I know what you are thinking, and stop it right now. Sam was sick and there was nothing you could do." her aunt said sternly. 

"How are my parents?" Gwen asked, changing the subject.

"There doing well." her aunt said a little uneasy.

"How were they after I left?" Gwen asked curiously.

"Oh, well the truth is, they didn't....didn't act any differently. I'm sorry, that's probably not what you wanted to hear."

"Oh, it's ok." Gwen was shocked and hurt. Her own parents didn't react at all when she left? They didn't even bother to call all these years. After a few more minutes of talking, Gwen went to look for Jodie.

"Jodie!" Gwen called.

"Gwen! How are you, living in the big apple?" asked Jodie.

"I'm doing good, how are you?"

"I'm doing great! I got married last year and I'm a few weeks pregnant!"

"Wow, someone's been busy!" laughed Gwen.

"Yeah, so what about you?" Jodie asked.

"Um, could we talk about that later, I'm here for a week. What's Austin been doing?" Gwen asked blushing.

"Well, he took over his father's business. And he opened a few more markets, so he's been pretty busy. But, what you're probably wondering is if he is seeing anyone, right?" Jodie asked. Gwen just blushed. "I'll take that as a yes." Jodie laughed. "Austin hasn't dated anyone since you left. And he's had quite a few girls ask him out. You know what he always says? That he has a girlfriend out of town on business." As Jodie said this, Gwen felt tears in her eyes. 

"He really says that?"Gwen asked with tears in her eyes.

"He really does, I guess he's still not over you."

"That's good because I still love him." Gwen said.