Home Sweet Home

*6 years ago*

398,399, 400, 401, 402 dollars, just enough for a one way ticket to New York City, New York. Gwen Roberts smiled to herself. Finally, she was going to get out of this tiny, boring town. Gwen was 18 and loved fashion. Her goal, since she was little, was to save up enough money to buy a plane ticket to New York. New York was fashion capital of the world and she knew she would make it in fashion. Gwen walked downstairs and into the living room, where she saw her dad watching one of the eight channels they could afford and drinking beer. Her mom, was sitting on the small couch sewing one of her father's shirts. 

" Mom, Dad, I saved enough money. I saved over $400." Gwen told her parents. They didn't even look up. " I'm moving to New York!" she yelled at them. And then ran up stairs, upset that they didn't even care. Gwen decided that if they weren't going to care or even come up to see if she was ok, she was going to leave. She packed up the clothes and possessions she had and scribbled a not very detailed note to her parents and her cousin, Samantha. Gwen was Samantha's best friend, but Gwen had other friends, not that she didn't love Samantha, she just had other friends. Gwen grabbed the money and her bags, took one last look at her room, and jumped out her bedroom window. Her bedroom wasn't that far to the ground, maybe a few feet. She landed on her feet and ran to Jodie's house, her best friend. Gwen threw a rock at Jodie's window. Jodie open it and threw down the rope ladder. Once Gwen was inside she gave Jodie a big hug. 

" What's wrong, Gwen?" Jodie asked confused at her friend.

" I did it Jodie, I saved enough money!" Gwen told her excitedly.

" You did?" Jodie asked her eyes wide with shock.

" Yeah! $402 for the ticket and a little bit extra just in case!" 

Jodie sat down on her bed slowly, wiping away the tears that were starting to fall from her blue eyes. " What's wrong Joey?" asked Gwen. Joey was a nickname that Gwen gave Jodie when they were little.

" To be honest, I never thought you'd end up saving enough money, I don't want you to go Gwen, I'll miss you." Jodie told her tears pouring down her face. Gwen hugged her friend.

" Jodie, I'm gonna miss you so much too, but I was being serious when I told you this. I'm sorry, but I have to go. This is my dream and I'll never accomplish it living here. You do understand, don't you?" 

"Of course I do, you're gonna do great, I know you will. Don't forget me once you become famous ok?" Jodie said with a sad smile.

"I will never forget you Joey, we are and will forever be best friends." Gwen told her seriously.

" You better get going if you're gonna stop at Austin's house. I'm gonna miss you Gwen. Talk to you soon?" Jodie looked up at Gwen with tears in her eyes.

" We'll talk soon, I promise!" Gwen told Jodie.

" Bye Gwen"

"Goodbye Jodie"  siad Gwen, with tears starting to fall as she started going down the rope ladder.

A few minutes later Gwen was at Austin's house. Austin was her boyfriend, they had been going out for over two years. Gwen knocked on the door.

"Gwen, hello, come in honey." Austin's mom, Mrs. Michaels said.

"Thanks Mrs. Michaels." replied Gwen as she stepped in the house.

"Austin is in his room hun." Mrs. Michaels said smiling. 

" Ok, thanks." Gwen said while going upstairs. She knocked on the door and Austin answered just a few seconds later.

" Hey babe!" Austin said smiling and gave her a soft kiss on the cheek. 

"Hey, so I need to talk to you." 

"Okay, about what?" Austin asked her a little curious.

"Do you remember when I told you I was saving money to go to New York?" she asked him while showing him the money.

"Holy crap Gwen, you actually saved enough?" he asked taking the money.

"Yeah." she said quietly.

"How'd you earn all this?" he inquired.

"I don't really have time to go into detail, my flight's in an hour." Gwen told Austin, not looking him in the eyes. Austin's eyes grew wide.

You're seriously going to go, Gwen?"

"Yes, I have to, this is my dream, to make something of my life and I sure as hell can't do it here." she told him.

"What about your family, Samantha, Jodie? What about me?" Austin asked irritated.

"My parents didn't say anything when I told them. Of course I'm going to miss Samantha and Jodie. And I don't know how I will live without you, but I have to try, I need to do this Austin. If this doesn't work, me going to New York, then I can always come back. But what if this is my only opportunity to do this? I can't just give it up. I love you more than anything Austin, but I need to do this, please understand." Gwen said. By this point tears were streaming down her face. 

"I love you too and I understand. Austin said giving her a kiss. You better get going then, New York awaits." he said with a sad smile.

"Right, okay. Thank you, Austin. I love you." Gwen told him.

"I love you, too. Goodbye Gwen."