After walking together for around five minutes in the direction of the Maximoff house where they would inevitably stay the rest of the day, Peter pulled Jennifer to a stop in the centre of the empty sidewalk. "Can I kiss you?"

Giving a soft smile Jennifer nodded. "Of course."

|| ~ || ~ ||

The house marked forty two on Mulbry Street was hardly ever quiet, something always filling the air, whether it be shouting, running, music or the television playing from the corner. Today however, it was as quiet as it might ever be.

Only three people were in the house, all gathered in the living room and in sight of each other. Maisie had claimed the armchair in the corner, having sat there for well over an hour flicking through the pages of her new book. On the couch adjacent to the armchair was Peter and Jennifer, the latter lying down and resting her head on the formers lap, who was using one hand to comb through her thick hair and the other to loosely fiddle with her hand.

No member of the trio had the energy to get up and do something, and hence had not moved, and had no intention to move anytime soon. At one point the tv had been switched on, but after discovering nothing interesting was on it was shut off again.

"You're gonna miss Maisie's birthday," Peter stated glumly.

Moving only her eyes, Jennifer looked over to the young girl that sat across from them, oblivious to their conversation. "When is it?"

"Next month, the twenty fourth."

Biting her lip in regret she sighed. Her departure wasn't going to be fair to anyone, especially not to the six year old who wouldn't truly understand the fact the Jennifer was leaving until she was already gone, despite it being explained to her on numerous occasions. No one could blame Maisie for denying the facts though, after all, who would want to come to terms with such a life altering decision if they didn't have to?

"I'll leave her a card." It didn't resolve the issue, not in the slightest, but what else could she do? "I'll miss your birthday too."

"Yeah."

For the first time in hours Jennifer sat up, determined to try her best. "Pass me over that piece of paper," she ordered, pointing to the sideboard beside Peter while picking up the pen she had been playing with earlier.

Peter wasted no time in handing the sheet over. "What're you doing?"

Resting the thin material on her leg, she scribbled the ink over the top in winding and looped letters. "If I'm going to send you both birthday cards every year it'll be a good idea to remember when they are."

"Jenny, you don't have to - "

" – yes, I do. Just because I'm leaving doesn't mean I'm cutting you off. I'll be damned if I never speak with you again, even if it's only in writing. There," she folded the paper that held the dates, placing it in her back pocket, though clearly something went wrong as one of the sides nicked her finger. "Ouch!," she exclaimed, bringing the affected index finger closer to her, allowing her to see the blood beginning to slowly seep out of the hairline cut.

"You cut yourself?," Peter asked, the tiniest amount of concern present in his voice.

Sighing, she nodded. Paper cuts were no one's friend and Jennifer knew that this one would bug her for weeks with where it was, sitting right on the pad of her most frequently used finger.

"Aww, you okay?" He took his finger into the palm of his hand, mocking her as he leant forward to inspect it. "It looks bad, I'm not sure you're going to make it."

Rolling her eyes with a small smile at his childish behaviour, though when she tried to take her hand back Peter stopped her by covering the tiny wound with both of his hands. "Seriously Pete?"

"Shhhh, I'm trying to heal you." His eyes were screwed shut for a very moments, giving Jennifer the perfect chance to pull a face at him, which Maisie caught sight of and laughed at, causing Peter to open his lids again in suspicion only to be met with a poker face. Removing his hands it took a double take to make his next comment. "It worked," he breathed, uncertain what had happened to the bloody cut on his girlfriends hand.

She however, already knew what had happened. On Peter's hand was her scrape, identical in every way, shape, and form. She had transferred it. It had never happened going from her to someone else, only ever the other way, but then again, she had never tried it with an actual person, only limp weeds. It was still a bit concerning that it happened without her knowledge, but maybe at some point she would master the skill.

By now, Peter was aware that he was the one with a stinging thumb and was staring at it incredulously. "Did you -?"

"Yeah."

"Cool. Not at all weird."

The front door opened with a woosh, alerting all trio that the owner of the household had arrived home from work. As per usual, Maisie went to greet her mother while Peter and Jennifer remained on the couch, waiting for Laura to enter the room rather than get up themselves.

"Do you want a plaster?," Jennifer asked, stifling a laugh at how Peter eyes were still going back and forth between their fingers, trying to match what he knew with what he saw.

He shook his head. His mouth opened, about to say something, perhaps ask a question, though Jennifer didn't hear a word, all of attention on Laura who had just walked through the opening. In her hands was a collection of post from the mailbox at the start of the drive that she brought in everyday after work, except today, she was looking at Jennifer.

"There's a letter here for you," she stated, holding out a white envelope with five different stamps on it. "It's from the UK."

|| ~ || ~ ||

UH OH. The time is nigh. 

I don't care what time it is I'm just glad I got this out today. On the same note, if there are any issues please tell me, cause if I'm honest, this was a nightmare to write and I literally wrote it while half watching Star Trek, so yeah. 

Also, with my greatest thanks to my wonderful friend @wanderingstranger, there's a new cover for the book so if you haven't already seen it please check it out. 

~ elizabeth