Chapter 2

Tris' POV
I can't believe it. I made the choice, the defining choice of my character. For 16 years I have been in a shell of selflessness and now, I am free.
"Dauntless born with Lauren, initiates stay with me. Go." Four speaks sternly. He's in a way very intimidating, I don't blame him. He must be, it is his job as an initiation instructor, but under all the layers of armor I know he is more. When I first laid eyes on him, I noticed his piercing dark eyes, I could get lost in them. The deep color reminds me of how deep I feel his character must be. He appears strong, but why does he need so much protection?

Four gave the initiates and I a tour around the Dauntless compound and then instructed us to change from our old faction clothes to Dauntless black. This step is so crucial and defying, a metaphor: to take away your past, or in this case the clothes that define your old way of living, and replace them with the new.
*PAGE BREAK*
I awake to a loud banging. Four.
"Get up. I want you in the pit. 5 minutes."
Four gives all the initiates an introduction on how we will go about training. I'm weak, so by the sounds of things, this will be difficult.
*PAGE BREAK*
The clock reads 3:47am. I can't sleep, my mind is too occupied with thoughts of my brother Caleb...and my parents. I decided I could no longer sit in the darkness, it makes it too easy for my mind to become unoccupied. I peal myself from my bed and slip into my boots. I soon find myself perched over the chasm, bottle of alcohol in my hands; flirting with death. I press the rim to my lips and sip, it burns the back of my throat, but somehow calms me. I suddenly hear laughter, my head snaps up. Four.
He walks towards me along with his friends who I recognize as Zeke and Shauna.
"Hey, Tris...didn't expect to see you here." He speaks, but not as stern as I'm used to he seems almost...relaxed.
"...yeah...couldn't sleep." I manage to vocalize.
"Want to hang out with us? I'm not really supposed to do this but...why not?" He asks with a wink.
Without a reply I push myself to my feet and drain the last of the liquid from my bottle.
"Don't get too excited, Tris!" Zeke exclaims.
Four gives him a playful nudge and without warning him, Zeke, and Shauna are running. I sprint in attempt to keep up, struggling to steady my breaths. Before long we arrive outside by the tracks waiting for a train. When it comes into a reasonable distance we begin to run again, once Zeke is parallel to the cart door he shoves it open and slides in followed by Four and Shauna me shortly after. I stumble in only to come face to face with Four's chest and slamming into him.
"Sorry" I achieve to mumble out. I try to walk away but he grabs me by my wrist. He looks deep into my eyes and somehow he softens. "It's okay." A small gesture, but the look in his eyes told me it meant so much more.
"Hey!" Zeke interrupts, as he pulls out a large bottle of what appeared to be alcohol. "Let's have some real fun, yea?"
___________________________
FEEDBACK PLEASEEE or at least someone read this! 🙏