But Sophie knew, he cared more about the fact that his people were attacked than the fact that she had been the one injured. He'd always been an 'ego-over-family' kind of person. Actually, more of everything-but-family.

He was probably just using this as leverage to throw Earle over anyways. Marella was next in line to Fury's Seat, and if Earle was kicked out, that would leave Fury with what they would consider an 'incompetent' ruler. 

"But your daughter being attacked gives sufficient reason to kill five of my men? Or land my right hand in prison?" Earle countered.

"The feud between Wrath and Fury is evident," interjected Quan, Mai's husband. "But that gives no valid reason for assaulting the direct Heir of Ire."

"I'll admit, a mistake on my part," Earle mused. "I did tell them to kill the Heir. I wasn't aware that there would be two." The bland smile on his face said enough, proving that he did, in fact, know that Linh would be there. 

"And there we have it," accused William. "Prove that the attack was intended."

"They need to shut up," Sophie mumbled. The others murmured their agreement. 

But they didn't shut up. In fact, the argument intensified. And they were all screaming. 

Then it happened too quickly to process. Someone punched William, sending him careening from his chair. That bit was satisfying. But then fights broke out. There were people stationed at every exit, and fights broke out there too. 

The Leaders themselves were in a squabble. Like, a physical squabble. 

A look with each other was enough to get the Heirs moving.  

"Reinforce the exits!" Liam shouted. 

No one listened. 

Don't start a fight, he'd told her. But then again, this fight wasn't exactly initiated by her. 

Some way or another, she was hit with a blow directly to the jaw. And that engaged her into a fight. Great, just great.

A sweep of her foot, a punch to their face, and her opponent was down. Dead or unconscious, she didn't particularly care. It was impossible to tell which side he was from. She just knew he wasn't one of her own men. That was enough. 

Everyone else were engaged elsewhere.

She was hit again, this time a blow to her head. She grit her teeth. They wanted to play? Fine. She'd play with them. They just couldn't know they were at the disadvantage. 

~

"ENOUGH!!" Someone shouted. It sounded a lot like William. 

Sophie knocked someone out again. She was completely bruised and bloody, and would no doubt suffer an interrogation by Keefe when she returned to school. 

Wait... Did she just think about him?!? Nope... Nope, nope, nope, she didn't. 

There were bodies piled on the ground by then. Unconscious ones, and dead ones. Not everyone was as courteous as her. 

Her knees buckled, and she spat out a mouthful of blood. Great, just great. 

From the looks of it, most of everyone left standing were her people. 

She stood up, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. 

"This Conference has gotten us nowhere," Quan spat. 

Gee, no one would have known that, with the death count, the blood, and the glares shooting around the room. 

"We'll discuss this another time," William commanded.