Crowley was still very intently pulling out weeds while Aziraphale set everything up. The angel glanced over every few seconds to see if the demon would join him on his own or if he would have to ask again. It looked like it was going to be the latter.

"Crowley?" he called out softly, the demon froze, "Would you care to join me?"

The demon looked over a blank expression on his face. Aziraphale did not like that at all. Where was the cuddly Crowley? Where was the demon who loved him?

"My love..." he tried again.

Something broke in the demon's expression and a small simple smile cracked on his face. Aziraphale breathed a sigh of relief as he approached.

"I don't know how long I'll be here, as you know we've gotten into a terrible fight in the real world and I just..." he sighed, trying to forget that difficult set of emotions as the demon knelt down onto the blanket across from him, "I just wanted a friendly face."

He fought the urge to reach out and take off the demon's sunglasses. He really wanted to see those golden eyes, they always held such love in them, absolutely unparalleled -- except for maybe Crowley's real eyes. However, if his subconscious willed sunglasses to be had on the demon then there had to be a reason.

Crowley sighed and sat stiffly down on the blanket, "I'm sorry we fought angel."

"It wasn't you." Aziraphale chuckled sadly, "We don't have to talk about it dear, let's just be us for now. Do you want some wine?" he moved to pour a glass.

"I just want to know..." Crowley sighed, letting his sunglasses slide down his nose a little so the tops of his eyes could be seen, "Why won't you just give me- him- it. Don't you trust me?"

The angel froze from where he was trying to uncork the bottle, "Of course I trust you dear. But the real you is different. While you will live forever in my mind, he... he could die. Especially given such a dangerous weapon as he asked for."

"I- he would never use it like that." Crowley said firmly.

Aziraphale's heart swelled at the sentiment. He knew dream-Crowley would get it, would be able to easily shut down his fears. However, this was just a dream. The angel still had the very real possibility of the actual Crowley getting hurt because of holy water. But now was not the time to worry about that, he had his own Crowley right here in front of him. One that wouldn't ever get hurt.

The angel leaned over and placed a kiss on the demon's cheek, "I know my love. You would never, but he... let's just face it and say that he isn't you. I can't just ask what's going on inside his head. Even if he didn't want the holy water as a last resort, it's much too dangerous to just have lying about. Just a touch could destroy him. I can't have that."

The demon started to fume and stood abruptly, towering over the angel, "You could've just asked me... him- dammit! For all you know I could've had an entire plan in place for keeping the holy water and me safe. I just... I just needed you. It was the last step. And yes I knew it would need some convincing but not an all out argument! I-"

"Stop talking like you're him!" Aziraphale interrupted sharply. He didn't like where dream-Crowley was heading, didn't like the points he was bringing up because they weren't true. This demon was a figment of his imagination. The angel groaned and muttered under his breath, "That's the reason why I come here is to avoid the real you."

Crowley stood staring at the angel, sunglasses halfway down his nose, eyes blown wide, face gone pale.

Aziraphale tried again, "Can we... can we just not talk about it please? I can't stand it when you act too much like him, I didn't come here for another fight."

"You..." Crowley repeated looking absolutely stricken, "You what?"

The angel shook his head, "I know you think you're him but you're not."

"All this time you spend here with me, calling me 'love' and 'darling'" the demon spat, "And you don't even like me?"

Aziraphale scoffed, "Well I don't like the real-you very much right now."

"You- you said you loved me, said I was perfect." Crowley looked like he was about to discorporate on the spot.

The angel hummed a touch sympathetically. Obviously dream-Crowley had misunderstood something and he was in anguish. The last time this happened the demon had disappeared for years on end. Aziraphale didn't want a repeat of that.

"I love you, this you, dream-you. You're perfect and everything I could ever wish for. Just because me and real-Crowley are in a bit of a spat right now doesn't mean we have to be." the angel hushed, trying to soothe the panicked demon. "You're not him."

"I am!!!" Crowley screamed, looking so very agitated. His sunglasses were ripped off his face by his own hand.

"I know you think-"

"Aziraphale," the demon growled dangerously, "Go away. Wake up. Go to hell for all I care. I won't talk to you ever again."

The angel gaped at the demon, glowing golden slitted irises glaring down at him. That... hurt. Like a punch in the gut, like his heart had just been pulled out of his chest. Was Crowley being serious? He looked serious, deadly serious. Was this what it was like to have a nightmare? Aziraphale had heard of them before. If this was one, he wasn't caring for them very much, not at all.

"Fine." he managed to get out but it was too late cause the demon was already walking away, out of earshot. "I won't talk to you either."

He woke up, the vow fresh on his lips.

He didn't sleep for centuries after that night.