Chapter 16

David

Maybe it was the fact that she was there in front of me. Maybe it was because I thought I'd never see her again. Either way, when she pulled me off of the bed and into her arms, there were tears. Tears that I hadn't seen for months on end. Sometimes you get so used to crying that when the time comes, there are no tears left.

When she pulled away from me, we seemed to be telepathic, as if we could both hear each other saying, "I missed you".

Then she said it. "Next time, just shoot the bitches and run."

We both laughed and I saw the tears in her eyes. It was like old times again, running through New York with the guys and her, sneaking onto the subways, and hacking security systems. Laughing afterwards, and sharing entire tubs of popcorn that we popped at the movie theatre, in the microwave that Alex snuck in. Jo wasn't there then. But I still remembered everything as if she were, even in spirit, watching over me my whole life.

"Okay, the lovefest is over."

A blonde haired boy was standing by the door of the shack, looking impatient. Who was he?

"Oh, uh David this is Kai." Jo said awkwardly, "we met in Brazil."

My grip on Jo's arm tightened, and I was afraid that if she went with him, I would never see her again. This boy stemmed to be her second home, her summer boyfriend when she left New York. But it couldn't of been that. He was scarred and afraid. Afraid of VENOM? No. Afraid of me? Definitely not. He was afraid of Jo, and at that moment I realized I was too. She was like a hurricane, a tsunami, when the rest of us were just a small raindrop.

************

The helicopter wings spun, taking us into the air, and over the capital of Greece. A country swarming with Neo Nazis. Well it wasn't surprising that one of them was associated with VENOM. Gabriel Caesar was more like the man inside. He was the Nazi side of VENOM, the one to make arrangements. I wondered if he knew about that sd card yet, and the information it held. If he did, he would probably walk away from VENOM right then. It was merely a society built against him.

"Where are we going now?" I asked, shifting positions so I could see Jo clearly.

"Where ever we have to, to bring this thing down."

She stared straight ahead, eyes wide, and i wondered what was going on inside her head. I was the one brought under interrogation, but she had faced them every day for the entire summer. My best friend betrayed me, but both her dad and her brother were killed in cold blood. Suddenly I realized I knew nothing about what it was like to look my enemies in the eyes. Jo's face was white, like she had seen a ghost. Her fear ricocheted onto me, and suddenly I didn't feel safe. We were out numbered and alone. But in Jo's pocket, she had a small list of eleven names. And that list was the most powerful weapon n the world.