"That's why the other teachers have stayed on," explained Hagrid. "So their posts can't go teh more Death Eaters, and so they can do whatever they can to protect the students."

Sarah stared at Hagrid.  She'd been so disconnected from the wizarding world, some days she almost forgot the extreme turn their society had taken. Stories like this one were all too real reminders that though he still hadn't revealed himself, Lord Voldemort was now in control.

"Anyways, wha' else 'ave yeh been up teh, Sarah? I 'eard yeh on the radio. Well done on savin' the muggle Prime Minister."

"Thanks," said Sarah, managing a meek smile. 

"Wha' else 'ave yeh been doin'?"

"Well, before that we were in Spain," she said, casting a weary glance at Elena. "We helped some muggleborns and muggles sneak out. They're staying with Diego's family."

"Wow. Jus' you and Merula?"

"No, Diego and Penny also went with us, along with her daughter Sophia. But we left them in Spain for safety."

"Seems odd tha' Diego would be willin' teh be left behind," mused Hagrid. "Figured he'd wan' teh be in the middle o' the action."

"Yes, well," Sarah cleared her throat. "I think he wanted to stay to protect his family. And the muggleborns, in case they we were followed," she lied. 

"He must miss you," said Barnaby. 

Sarah met his eyes. They reminded her of a mooncalf's--large and curious, but cautious. 

"Maybe," she said. "He's probably glad to be rid of me, to be honest."

"Oh."

"Yeah, Spellman ground up his heart like it was bicorn horn," said Merula, having woken from her slumber at the worst possible moment. "It was hilarious to watch."

"Sarah and Diego Caplan?" asked Hagrid, amazed. "I never woulda guessed you two would get together."

Sarah felt her face go red, but Merula answered before she could. 

"'Together' is a strong word," said Merula. "It was less of a relationship and more like Sarah had a galleon on a string and Caplan was a dimwitted niffler."

"Why do you always have to be like this?" Sarah asked.

Merula met her eyes for an awkward moment, then turned to easier prey. 

"What about you, Romania? You still messing around with Lee so he'll be your Order informant?"

"Wha?!" gasped Hagrid, as both Elena and Barnaby shot to their feet.

"What's your problem?" barked Elena.

Merula sat up in bed, though Sarah could tell it made her nauseous. 

"Besides being bedridden in a cave and surrounded by a giant and a handful of morons? I mean, there's the end of the free world going on, I guess."

Elena pulled out her wand. Grawp gave a warning growl. Hagrid went to comfort him as Barnaby dragged Elena in the opposite direction, away from a smirking Merula. 

"You know, being in a bad mood doesn't give you the right to be a jerk to everyone," said Sarah, her arms folded. 

"And me telling the truth doesn't give you the right to act high and mighty. You're no better than me, Spellman."

"I don't think I'm better than you, Merula! Honestly, the only person that ever compares the two of us is you. I want us to work together, maybe even be friends, but the only way that'll happen is if you get over whatever insecurities make you act like this."