Teaser

Jason and I are stumbling on the side of the road. Drenched in sweat. Thumbs out. We haven't seen a car in about ten hours. My sense of time is probably way off, but that is how long it feels.

We need to keep on moving. I'm not dying out here, not after everything we went through. I guess in hindsight that we should have done more research on the places we visit and the kind of people that willingly choose to live out here, but it's a bit too late for that now. No need to get angry at each other. Jason seems to reach his limits as he tries to keep up with my pace. Being naturally skinny and athletic does have its advantages. Unfortunately for Jason, his lungs aren't the healthiest anymore - of course being an ex-addict and alcoholic. He would dispute the last part but I know what he is. It's fine if he doesn't want to admit it. I still accept him for who he is, but I would seriously appreciate it, if he got his shit together, when we hopefully get through this shitshow.

Finally - the roaring sound of an old engine from a distance. I'm struggling to tell what kind of car it is cause my eyesight isn't the best and my glasses got stolen by a homeless hippy, but that's a story for a different time. Either way, there's hope ahead of us.

Jason finally wakes up from his zombie-like walking state and starts frantically waving at the car. I'm not good with cars, but it kind of looks like that old red car, that Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad was driving, but covered in rust and dirty dark grey. The car slows down and comes to a full stop next to us. A guy in his fifties rolls down his window and asks us "What are two young boys like yourself doing out here in this kind of heat?". I should probably mention that he had a southern accent. Jason, with his throat dried out, struggling to speak, signals with both his hands that we need something to drink. The Driver understands and grabs a bottle out of the door on the passenger side, while still chatting us up. Jason and I both block out this guys' chatter and are tunnel-visioned on the bottle. I let Jason take a sip first, cause I know he'll get mad if I step ahead.

Fast forward - Jason and I are sitting in this strangers car. He tells us that his name is Randy. Typical southern name. "So, Charlie and Jason. Tell me how you guys got stranded out here." he asks us. Yes my name is Charlie. Well Charles, but I don't really like my full name. It just sounds so old. Anyway, I tell him the tale of how we got sick of working our 9 to 5 jobs and wanted something different out of our lives. It wasn't our goal to get robbed and kidnapped by a bunch of rednecks, that left us in the desert to die. Randy thinks that we're joking and laughs out loud, while slapping his hand on his knee. I don't bother to reassure that that was actually what happened. After covering our bases we continue with our small talk, as I try not to fall asleep. Jason passed out a long time ago in the back. I don't even know where he's driving us. I'm just happy to be out of the oppressive heat. As I listen to him talk about sports and the weather my eyes wander on the road ahead of us. My eyes slowly close and open again. I try not to fall asleep but I can't help myself. I've been through some tough and sleepless few days. As Randy rambles on and on about his favourite football team his voice gets quieter and quieter until my eyes shut fully and I sit there with shitty posture in silence and darkness.

The darkness slowly fades to a bright white. My head hurts. I open my eyes and try to look around the room to unterstand where exactly I am. My head is stuck. I can't move. At this point in time I am fully awake and switch to a panic state of mind. My brain is trying to signal to my body that it needs to get up, but my body is fully numb. I am laying on my back with my bruised up hands to the side, still trying to understand what the hell is going on. A door opens and shuts heavily and i suddenly feel a presence in the room.