"No." He shook his head. "I'm just... thinking."

They rounded a corner where there were dozens of students and staff standing around something written on the wall.

The Chamber of Secrets has been opened Enemies of the heir... beware

"Is that Mrs. Norris?" Clarice asked and followed behind Severus towards the front.

"Everyone will proceed to their dormitories immediately." Dumbledore called out. "Everyone except... you three."

"She's not dead Argus. She has been petrified." Dumbledore continued.

"Ah! Thought so! So unlucky I wasn't there. I know exactly the counter curse that could have spared her." Gilderoy said with his hands on his hips. Clarice just rolled her eyes at the man.

"How she had been petrified, I can't say." Dumbledore said after giving Gilderoy a side eyed glare.

"Ask him! It's him that's done it!" Argus said while pointing to Harry. "You saw what he wrote on the wall."

"It's not true sir! I swear. I never touched Mrs. Norris." Harry defended himself.

"Rubbish!"Argus called.

"If I might, Headmaster? Perhaps Potter and his friends were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time." Severus spoke up. The kids gave each other weird looks. It wasn't like Severus to stand up for children.

"Harry was helping me answer my fan mail. It couldn't have been him." Gilderoy said. That poor boy. Clarice wanted to give him candy for putting up with that man for merlin knows how long.

"That's why Ron and I went looking for him Professor. We just found him when he said..." Hermione said and trailed off.

"Yes? Ms. Granger?" Severus asked.

"When I said I wasn't hungry." Harry spoke up. "We were heading back to the common room when we found Mrs. Norris."

Severus turned back to Dumbledore and Clarice only stood and watched.

"Innocent until proven guilty, Argus." Dumbledore said calmly.

"My cat has been petrified! I want to see some punishment!" Argus yelled.

"We will be able to cure her. Argus?" Dumbledore nodded. "As I understand it, Madame Sprout and Ms. Bates has a very healthy growth of mandrakes which we'll be sure to have a potion made which will revive Mrs. Norris. And in the meantime, I strongly recommend caution to all." Dumbledore said and turned away. Pomona and Minerva went along with him and gave Clarice a smirk seeing as she entered with Severus. Although, Gilderoy only stared at Clarice making her extremely uncomfortable.

"Are you sure you'd rather hang around him." Gilderoy sneered and jutted his head towards Severus. "Or would you rather have myself, the Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor around your little waist?"

"I'd choose Severus over you any day." Clarice spat and charmed his shoelaces together without him noticing. She turned away with Severus and heard Gilderoy yell and then a loud thud. The pair chuckled and began walking back to Clarice's room.

"Put your arm around my waist." She whispered to him and he did just in time for Gilderoy to look up and see them attached at the hip. They walked around the corner and Severus dropped his hand, it felt foreign to him. He had never been this close to a girl since when he was friends with Lily. He could never forgive himself, but perhaps he had found someone to truly be himself around.

"You don't have to let go." Clarice said it barely loud enough for him to hear, but he did and returned his hand to her waist only this time, he brought her closer to him. They walked to Clarice's door and she opened it up.