She looked at him smiling, but then frowned. 

“No, I can’t rest until it’s done. Atleast finished, then I’ll go over it tomorrow.”

He sighed and rolled his eyes, “I know. It was worth a try though.” 

She giggled, “thanks anyway babe. You get some sleep though, Jet Lag must be killing you.”

“Nope,” he smiled. “Wide awake. Come with me to the kitchen and I’ll make us a cuppa tea then we can go back into your study cave and try work on this together. Think of me as.. your beautiful human thesaures. I’ll give you a fancy word to replace the boring ones.”

She just smiled at him and nodded faintly, before letting him tug her hand and lead her to the kitchen.

After watching Louis drop two teaspoons of sugar into her tea and squeezing out the tea bag before removing from her mug, just the way she liked it, she took the hot cuppa from him, exchanging it for a kiss. She lead him to back to her ‘study cave’ where she carefully took a sip of her tea before placing on her desk away from all her notes and ever precious MacBook. 

“Okay,” she started getting comfortable again on the cushion on floor, as Lou flopped onto her bed on his stomache and looked over the end of it, watching her type furiously on keyboard. She re read aloud the paragraph she had spat out before and looked to Louis for confirmation.

“Sounds perfect babe,” he smiled, sipping his hot mug of tea. 

Eleanor groaned, “You have no idea what I’m talking about do you?”

“Not really,” he shook his head honestly. “But the way you string your sentences together sounds genius love, really.” 

She rolled her eyes, “You nodding and saying ‘sounds great babe’ doesn’t really count as us getting through this together, Lou.”

“I’m trying baby,” he smiled. “But you’re too smart for me.”

She smiled and reached up to her desk to grab her tea and take a mouthful before propping it back up again and setting to her work.

—————

“Give me another word for ‘again’?” Eleanor finally piped up. 

Louis had long finished his tea and half of Eleanor’s was sitting cold on the desk above her head. The alarm clock by her bed said to be 4:30 am and Louis was sure this wasn’t the first time she had spoken up, he must have dosed off  between then and now.

“Uhh, another word for ‘again’.. I don’t know give me sec, I’ll search it,” he said fumbling around his pocket searching for his phone. 

“Uh, how about ‘on-‘”

“Once more! That’ll fit,” she cried, taking the words out of Louis mouth. She turned back to her screen and ignored him once more, determined to get the next 150 words into the report before the clock hit 5:00am.

“El, you must be nearly done babe,” Louis sighed. “Shall I start packing up for you?”

“No!” she said quickly. “I mean, sorry love that didn’t mean to sound rude, no I’ll do it in the morning when I’ve finshed double checking it. You get into your pjs though if you want. I’m nearly done, 63 words to go.”

Louis’ face turned pink. “I didn’t bring pjs babe…”

She looked at him and rolled her eyes, smiling. “Not tonight baby.”

“I know, I just.. I don’t know what I thought. I’ll sleep in my boxers.”

“You don’t have to,” she smirked. “But just, not tonight. I’m nearly done, then I think I’m going to pass out.”

“Alrighty babe,” Louis yawned, climbing into Eleanor’s king single bed wearing just his boxers. “I’ll just warm it up for you yeah?”

She ignored him, her brain focussed solely on the last 50 words she had to spit out onto the screen. Her fingers were numb and her butt had sunk so far into the cushion, she may as well not be sitting on it at all. But none of this mattered, she was so close to finishing, soon she could climb into bed next to her boyfriend and fall asleep in his arms. 

Yawning, she looked up to see Louis fast asleep on her bed and decided she could find another word for ‘because’ on her her own. After deciding on ‘as a result of’ her word count clicked over from 2997 to 3000 words and she could finally get up from the floor. Hitting ‘save’ she closed her laptop and placed it next to the cold mug of tea on her desk and headed for the bathroom. 

She closed the door and switched the light on, finally getting a glimpse in the mirror after god knows how long. Her hair was a matted brown nest on the top of her head and her mascara had run, but was now dried, half way down her cheeks after the panic attack she’d had at about 10pm when she thought she’d deleted her whole report. Turns out she’d just opened another blank document in Word and her assignment was just sitting behind it. But nonetheless, the screams and tears and been let out and it wasn’t until her room mate, Lucy, came in to calm her down, that she realised what she’d done. But that was over now, her assignment was finished and she was ready to brush her teeth and collapse in bed with Louis’ arms around her waist. 

Scrubbing the highlighter and pen marks from her hands, she yawned. The little clock above the mirror read half five and she was more than ready for bed. She switched the light off before opening the door, as though not to disturb Louis’ peaceful sleep, but that was soon forgotten when he woke as she climbed into bed with him. 

“Hey beautiful, you finally finished?” Louis asked, half asleep, moving over a few inches to give Eleanor room to lay down beside him. 

“Yep,” she yawned, sleep taking over her body as soon as her head hit the pillow. 

Louis chuckled. “Goodnight my little nerd. I love you.”

He kissed her cheek and wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her closer to him as they both drifted off to sleep. Eleanor dreaming of Sociology and finally being able to submit her report in 10.5 hours, while Louis closed his eyes and thought of finally being able to take his girlfriend home to Doncaster for Christmas Eve with his family.