Chapter 11 | meet again

"You don't have to come if you don't want to"

"I'm coming. That's that"

Tying a black skeleton printed bandanna over L's hair so it covered the back of his neck, you stood your ground telling him that yes you would be coming with him to this tennis match. Wanting to protect his easily burnt skin, you assured he cover his neck and scalp with that bandana and keep his usual long clothes on. He couldn't exactly hold a parasol and play tennis at the same time.

Last time L got sunburnt it was like seeing a vampire have a near brush with a second death, he was redder than red and in a lot of pain. Best avoid that this time.

"I burn once and you go over protective" he said.

"You wouldn't stop complains about how sore it was. Plus, covering your hair keeps it clean. As much as I love your fluffy locks I don't need you falling on your face during the game and getting all messy"

Successfully making him look like a witch living in a spooky cottage with the bandana, you grabbed your parasol and bag ready to go. Not only did you want to keep an eye on him and Light being protective of your husband. But Ryuk would be there if light was there. You might be able to talk to him again.

L picked up his tennis bag he hadn't used in years, took your bat sunglasses off the vanity and stole them for himself. With that it was off to this tennis match.

As usual, your funeral hearse garnered strange looks when you rolled up to the university parking lot. And as usual your spooky appearance stood out to the rather normal students. Spotting Light and unbeknownst to L Ryuk waiting by the tennis courts, you approached him.

"Hey, there you are" he said.

"I would have been earlier if someone wasn't busy playing with my hair" L said.

"Hey do you wanna sunburn again?" You spoke up.

"...no"

"Then don't complain"

There was no winning against you. You were one only person that could beat L in anything and he was ok with it.

"I gotta say, I wasn't expecting you to suggest tennis as a way to get to know each other. But when you suggested it, did you think about how good I am?" Light flaunted.

"Yes. You won junior high championships. But don't get your hopes up, I was British junior champion for a time" L flaunted back.

There was a pause, Light processing that. You snickered under your breath at L one upping him.

"You're British?" Light asked.

"Half. Born in Winchester. But save your breath nothing about that will reveal any information about my identity" L replied.

"No it's just... you and Salem seem to like the spooky side of England so it doesn't surprise me"

Well, yes you did like the spooky side of England. The gothic manors and ghost stories about them, but clearly that wasn't what Light was initially thinking.

They put their bags down at a bench off to the side and got their rackets out ready to play.

"Good luck, British junior champ" you said.

L gave you a smile before following Light to the court to start the game. You watched him beat the ball over at Light harshly, barely missing him and hitting the fence where Ryuk jumped out of the way. L wasn't messing around to Lights surprise.

Also why did Ryuk jump? Can't things go through him?

Speaking of Ryuk, he got the hint to not stand in the way and walked over to where you were sitting. And to your surprise he approached you first.